LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We are wanting to buy and fit an oven in our Hymer, it will fit in the draw spac,e will need to lose 2 drawers), just not sure if Smev are better than Spinflo, most German/French vans are fitted with Smev's, how good are Smev's?
Thanks

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ovens

SMEV are Italian. Many Italian homes do not have a oven, they are not as usual as over here. I used to be a sales agent selling components to the European market and I believe that Spinflo (now Thetford) make the best ovens.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never had a Spinflo so can't really give a fair comparison

The SMEV we had in the RV was a decent cooker.. can't really fault it, it was used full time for three years and wasn't new when we bought the RV .. probably about five - eight years old then.

Only issue we had, mostly of our own making was the grill burner rusted through and fell off .. this was probably caused by letting water boil over and fall onto the burner during cooking.. . :RollEyes:

Best advice is to go and look at them.. get a hands on feel ..SMEV are now part of the Dometic Group.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My experience is that the Smev seems to maintain a more accurate heat than the Spinflo, and the Smev seems to get hotter. However based on a very small sample as I have only ever had one Spinflo. It would be really brilliant if one of them could bring out a fan oven (12v fan of course)

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We had a Smev that came fitted in our new Hobby from JCMH after using for one trip we found it made a hand warmer and not a good one at that, as for cooking forget it. JCMH replaced it for a microwave as we use EHU a lot of the time this solved our problem for us.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
we have a spinflo duplex in ours and it seems to work quite well.
it does take a little longer to cook things than a domestic oven but it gets there in the end.

if they made a lpg/mains fan oven then it would be brilliant.

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Spinflo

I have been doing lpg gas work for the Environment Agency on some of their work boats on the river Thames.
They are all fitted with Nelson Spinflo cookers (Oven, Grill & 2 Burners) They are a very durable product where the 'chaps' are not always that gentle with things.
The unit seems to be made of stainless steel so the rust issue may not be a problem with this.

Kind Regards

Arthur:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our MH is Italian and has an oven and grill by Smev.
It does what it says on the tin , but does take longer than our domestic fan assisted oven at home.
Its also got a spit roaster attachment in the oven though we have never used it.
Infact we only use the oven for warming pies , pasta bakes etc and cooking oven chips and roast potatoes.:Smile:
Everything else we cook on the hob or steam.
They are quite expensive i believe too.
Bev

phoenixlyn

Free Member
May 2, 2008
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
30 plus
smev, everytime.

We are changing our Spinflo, because the fan it has causes the van to overheat! I would rather the heat stayed in the oven, not be forced out into the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back