Skirts and water ingress (1 Viewer)

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
After a very wet and rainy drive I had some water appear seeping out from under the wall of the bathroom onto the hab area floor in my Elddis 120. Now the bathroom of the 120 is effectively sealed at the bottom (like a wet room) so I can't get to see where the water came from. I've tried running taps, shower, flushing the toilet, filling the sink and emptying it quickly. No water appears and the water pump isn't running unexpectedly, so I suspect its not a plumbing issue.
With it raining so much and there being huge amounts of spray on the drive I suspect outside is the origin. There is a crack in the seal where the skirt attaches to the body but I cant replicate the water ingress by running water down the side of the van. My question is is there any way the water could get inside from this open seal? It looks like the walls run down past the edge of the floor - but can I be sure? - and when I put my hand up the inside of the skirt I can feel a slight lip. Anyone know how these wall/floor joints are made?
Plan is just to redo the seal and hope I've sorted the problem, but I'm intrigued as to where my leak came from.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, it's not clear to me where the water is appearing. I have a 135 and had a problem with damp appearing at the back of the o/s rear wheel arch. Turns out they'd forgotten to put sealant at the back of the wheel arch. Your layout is a bit different to mine - they've moved the bathroom forward and put a wardrobe between it and the rear seats? If the water's appearing in the aisle this won't help, but if you're worried about the skirts maybe it's appearing to the front or rear of the bathroom? If it's behind the wardrobe I'd certainly look at the front of the rear wheel arch. Regarding the skirts, apparently they're decorative - I've attached a pic of the rear of mine when they were doing the sealant; there's a metal lip/bracket that holds the rear, then it's just a lot of glue. The seal between the skirt and the body looks nice but doesn't do much (apparently...). Let me know if I can help further!
cheers
John

211019_094650 os repair.JPG

OP
OP
Aireworth
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Hi, it's not clear to me where the water is appearing. I have a 135 and had a problem with damp appearing at the back of the o/s rear wheel arch. Turns out they'd forgotten to put sealant at the back of the wheel arch. Your layout is a bit different to mine - they've moved the bathroom forward and put a wardrobe between it and the rear seats? If the water's appearing in the aisle this won't help, but if you're worried about the skirts maybe it's appearing to the front or rear of the bathroom? If it's behind the wardrobe I'd certainly look at the front of the rear wheel arch. Regarding the skirts, apparently they're decorative - I've attached a pic of the rear of mine when they were doing the sealant; there's a metal lip/bracket that holds the rear, then it's just a lot of glue. The seal between the skirt and the body looks nice but doesn't do much (apparently...). Let me know if I can help further!
cheers
John

View attachment 764061
Hi John, that helps a lot. From your photo I can see the wall goes down past the edge of the inner floor- so water ingress in the way I had imagined can't have been happening (assuming the 120 is built in the same way as the 135). I can see that what I have been feeling up behind the skirt is that strip in the body - presumably there to support/align up the skirt.
The bathroom in the 120 is immediately behind the drives seat - its too far foward to be affected by water ingress from the rear arch without something in between being wet and that was all dry. And the sealing of the front wheel arch looks fine - but I'll check again. I think I may have to look higher - and that might mean rechecking the roof.
Many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
was there a re continuous feed of water or it became wet and there was no further ingress of water?

reason for asking, I dont have the same motorhome but during a particularly bumpy journey water appeared from under the shower room int the van. ( it was not raining, so that helped eliminate things ) I found that the P trap for the shower had split and deposited its contents on the floor. When i removed it for replacement it looked as if it had been stressed for some time and the few bumps were the final straw.

OP
OP
Aireworth
Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
was there a re continuous feed of water or it became wet and there was no further ingress of water?

reason for asking, I dont have the same motorhome but during a particularly bumpy journey water appeared from under the shower room int the van. ( it was not raining, so that helped eliminate things ) I found that the P trap for the shower had split and deposited its contents on the floor. When i removed it for replacement it looked as if it had been stressed for some time and the few bumps were the final straw.
Interesting - we did run water through the shower head but maybe did that into the sink - no new water appeared. Worth checking the tray thoroughly. Didn't think it could be the tray as we hadn't used the shower before the water appeared.
We drove for about 2 hours through pouring rain and heavy spray. Parked up for the night - the following morning the carpets in the area just in front of and amidships of the bathroom were soaked and there was water seeping from under the bathroom wall. We dried it all up. It rained off and on that day (after we arrived) but there was no more water appeared which is why I though that perhaps it had accumulated under the bathroom at some point during (and because of) our rainy journey.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like something has not been sealed underneath, have you looked at the area underneath the van below where the interior leak appeared?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back