Should I be worried ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2018
Urquhart near Elgin
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
While cleaning the roof of my 2012 Autotrail Tracker I found that all the silicone / adhesive used to glue the roof vents to the roof has gone really rough, see pictures. I suspect it hadn't been smoothed off at the factory. I scraped a little bit off and it was still sticky under the hard surface. As far as I know none of the vents are leaking going by my damp meter, so I'm inclined to leave well alone. Is this normal for an 11 year old motorhome?

20230808_131025.jpg 20230808_131013.jpg

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
That’s not uncommon it’s an age thing👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It's an autotrail so absolutely as expected. At 11 years old I would remove and refit all skylights with new sealant one at a time. A bit of preventative maintenance will save big issues later

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It’s exactly the same as mine and it’s on a 06 plate and usual quality of an AT I’m afraid.

The roof vents were fitted by 2 notorious brothers, Bodgeit and Scarper.

Jan 16, 2017
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 2015
While cleaning the roof of my 2012 Autotrail Tracker I found that all the silicone / adhesive used to glue the roof vents to the roof has gone really rough, see pictures. I suspect it hadn't been smoothed off at the factory. I scraped a little bit off and it was still sticky under the hard surface. As far as I know none of the vents are leaking going by my damp meter, so I'm inclined to leave well alone. Is this normal for an 11 year old motorhome?

View attachment 792606 View attachment 792607
If damp aint present leave it alone however its not an expensive job just had my Motorhome front Hatch done £60 and i was there when the guy done the silcone repair i could have done it myself

Jun 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet

Hi The sea

If its not leaking don't touch it. The sealant cures so that it remains sticky. I recently changes two skylights as they were old ,and dirty and it was very easy. Used Seamseal CV which cost about £4.00 per tube. took about 30 mins per skylight , mostly cleaning the old sealant off. If you are a bit practical its not difficult if its required in the future. This two part video covers it pretty well

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
If damp aint present leave it alone however its not an expensive job just had my Motorhome front Hatch done £60 and i was there when the guy done the silcone repair i could have done it myself
Shouldn't be using silicone for a rooflight.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
It is better to use a non setting sealer for roof lights as they will expand and contract in really hot weather as will the roof.

Oct 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
ldv
I used part of a pot of Evo Stik Plumbers Mait for sealing up my replacement rooflight. For less than £3 (a few years ago) the same pot of stuff has sealed up leaks in 3 house toilets, the van loo, two plastic pond liners (the aquatic life didn't seem bothered by it), a huge plant pot which I converted to a water feature snails werent affected by the stuff if you consider that they pooped all over any bit they got at and survived), a temporary repair on a cracked shower base, a split in a down pipe, a crack in the bottom of the stench pipe, both vents in the van, and other odds and sods and there's still a third of a tub left. it's great stuff, doesn't set, stays flexible, doesn't dry out like the original stuff the vents were bedded into and so far, on all the jobs I've used it on, the job has held up for everything.

BigPaul

Free Member
Jan 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
hymer

If it ain’t broke…..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It will be non setting mastic, the fact that it is till sticky under the surface suggests it is doing exactly what it says on the tube, I would leave well alone ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back