Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
has any one been to the Shetland island we have been to Orkney it was great so any info on Shetland would be great.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We had to go to the Faroes via the Shetlands for about 10 years when our ferry Norrona dropped Aberdeen. We arrived at 7.00 am on the the old P&O route from Aberdeen and boarded Norrona at 2.00 am next morning so it was a case of killing time more than anything.

Weather permitting (which it rarely did) I fly fished the many lakes on the mainland. The rest of the day was spent wandering the few shops in Lerwick and buying a picnic lunch, driving out to Gruting on the west coast where we B&B'd on the return trip, bit of walking and lots of sitting in the car dozing off. There was some sort of ancient settlement whose name escapes me, near Gruting also a Viking settlement, Jarlshof and an Iron Age village at Sumburgh all worth a look.

There was a camp site of sorts next to a sports field on the road south out of Lerwick, and others scattered around but we weren't camping so didn't take too much notice. Very scenic and plenty of bars and places to eat in Lerwick and of course ferries to the outer islands which are worth a trip. Just take an umbrella, no don't, it'll get blown away. :roflmto:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Hi Shuggy, what is it you want to know, we are in Orkney but I know Shetland pretty well. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back