Route to Trieste to Calais (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Just looking at a route from Trieste to Calais mid October and with 4.8t van I am trying to avoid Austrian toll roads and the hassle of the GoBox .
Do any funsters have a good route handy ?

Thanks in advance .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just looking at a route from Trieste to Calais mid October and with 4.8t van I am trying to avoid Austrian toll roads and the hassle of the GoBox .
Do any funsters have a good route handy ?

Thanks in advance .
yep Milan, como, St Gotthard, Basle, metz, Luxembourg, Namur, Lille. Some Italian tolls but cheap enough, then use Via App for Chf25 pass for Switzerland, job done.

in previous years I would have said fill up in Luxembourg but not now sadly.

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
yep Milan, como, St Gotthard, Basle, metz, Luxembourg, Namur, Lille. Some Italian tolls but cheap enough, then use Via App for Chf25 pass for Switzerland, job done.

in previous years I would have said fill up in Luxembourg but not now sadly.
Fab thank you , do you mean the St Gotthard tunnel , I’m sure the Swiss Vignette covers that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
At your weight you cannot use a vignette in Switzerland, you need heavy vehicle tax. Don’t get caught out by the police

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
How big is your van ?

Ours is over 3.5t but only 6.7m and looks much the same as a supermarket delivery van.
Our model of van comes as 3.5t, 3.9t or 4.2t
There is no physical difference at all between them, just a bit of paper and a plate with a different number on it.

Following the advice of a couple of vans who were inbound from Austria, we simply bought a 9 day Vignette for about €10 from memory.

If you have an 8m tag axle, then you probably need to take the GoBox option, but if you are simply an up-plated standard model you should get away with it.

As a warning, another funster did the simple Vignette option and got caught and fined, but it may depend on what your van looks like.

That said it is possible to cross Austria without going on the toll roads, but you need a reliable navigator.
The route is the old Brenner Pass road, not the new motorway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back