Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Hi everyone were heading into Germany in September and planning on touring the romantic road. We have the tour guide book but looking for the type of knowledge you can only get by doing it. According to gmaps wurzberg to fusson can be driven in 3 hours ish. I was wondering what the public transport links are like if we were to pick 3 or 4 base sites and public transport along the route. We have bikes which will be our first option TIA.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Why would you want to do Würzburg to fussen in 3 hours??

You could spend 3 weeks doing it👍
It’s stunning and I would advise against rushing it, we’ll be in Rothenburg first week of September
Take as much time as possible and try not to miss anything👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Ah I’ve re read it now🤦‍♂️
I’d do it in the moho, there’s Aires at nearly every good town on that route, might be a bit far to cycle from on to another👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Ah I’ve re read it now🤦‍♂️
I’d do it in the moho, there’s Aires at nearly every good town on that route, might be a bit far to cycle from on to another👍
Sorry we are in a motorhome I'm looking to get to towns along the route firstly on our bikes but was wondering what transport links are like.

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Why would you want to do Würzburg to fussen in 3 hours??

You could spend 3 weeks doing it👍
It’s stunning and I would advise against rushing it, we’ll be in Rothenburg first week of September
Take as much time as possible and try not to miss anything👍
We are going to spend probably 3 weeks doing this but from top to bottom the road would take 3 hours. So we're planning on having a few base camps and using our bikes or public transport links to get along route.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I will watch this chat with interest, we are think of doing the same end of September or early October.

I was going to do a similar post in a week or two. you beat me to it.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
For Germany, the Stellplatz app is useful, I haven´t taken a bus here in 20yrs so can´t comment, but the trains are not bad, either DB(Deutsche Bahn) or any of the regional services, bikes are welcome on trains and it´s a great way to get around.

Have a look at the DB website.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
what I know is Fusson is beautiful, there are 3/4 airs privately owned with a 15 min walk in to town. But don't use the VET if you have an animal, he's a rip off merchant of the highest order.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi everyone were heading into Germany in September and planning on touring the romantic road. We have the tour guide book but looking for the type of knowledge you can only get by doing it. According to gmaps wurzberg to fusson can be driven in 3 hours ish. I was wondering what the public transport links are like if we were to pick 3 or 4 base sites and public transport along the route. We have bikes which will be our first option TIA.
German Holidays

We always travel on a Sunday to avoid the traffic and queues at the Dartford Crossing.

We would catch a cheap tunnel crossing at about 8.00 PM going and a cheap return at about 8.00 AM.

Easy overnight stops are at

Grave lines Aire about 7E.

Bray Dunes central carpark FOC.

(Carrefour Supermarket and services nearby)

De Panne just over the border in Belgium is a nice town and seaside resort.

My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany near Aachen and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatze if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmish are very cheap. At Garmish station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

http://zugspitze.de/en/winter/mountain/zugspitze

We only ever stop at Stellplatz but they usually have all services but often with a small charge

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburging circuit.

The science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim.

Technic Museum at Marxzell is not to be missed

The NSU museum at Neckarsulm has the finest collection of motorcycles plus

https://demomu.de/

http://www.fahrzeugmuseum-marxzell.de/

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

You could buy a Critical air sticker for Germany – and even France last forever and only about

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
German Holidays

We always travel on a Sunday to avoid the traffic and queues at the Dartford Crossing.

We would catch a cheap tunnel crossing at about 8.00 PM going and a cheap return at about 8.00 AM.

Easy overnight stops are at

Grave lines Aire about 7E.

Bray Dunes central carpark FOC.

(Carrefour Supermarket and services nearby)

De Panne just over the border in Belgium is a nice town and seaside resort.

My Favourite route south through Germany is to pick up the E40/42 in Dunkirk to Aachen via Charleroi. Turn off at Junction 2 just as it enters Germany near Aachen and head directly south to Monschau a town unchanged since a 1700. Then south again to the Mosel at Cochem. Tour the Mosel to Boppard and a ferry across the Rhine. For me there is not much to see on the Rhine so either side will do. There are ferries at various spots down to the south. South to Rüdesheim am Rheine and then I would head for Lindau on the Bodensee. You’re now in my favourite part of Germany, Bavaria and the Tyrol into Austria. There are many place to stop anywhere in Germany and plenty of Stellplatze if needs be. I would strongly recommend Mittenwald for a few days. You are next to the railway station and ticket to Garmish are very cheap. At Garmish station there is mountain railway to the highest Beer Keller in the world.

http://zugspitze.de/en/winter/mountain/zugspitze

We only ever stop at Stellplatz but they usually have all services but often with a small charge

Other popular visits are a lap of the old Nurburging circuit.

The science museums at Technik Museum Speyer and Sinsheim.

Technic Museum at Marxzell is not to be missed

The NSU museum at Neckarsulm has the finest collection of motorcycles plus

https://demomu.de/

http://www.fahrzeugmuseum-marxzell.de/

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

You could buy a Critical air sticker for Germany – and even France last forever and only about
May I ask where you stayed in Monschau

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Stellplatz at monschau it’s very noisy it’s on a hairpin bend and you’re in the middle ,Blankenheim is just up the road .I think there might now be another stellplatz at the next village?have a look at camper contact or park for night.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
this guy and his stupid wife nearly shoved us down the car park. I’m talking millilitres . He can’t drive it properly. Hope we leave before he does( the overland driver that is 😀)
10308B43-FEE3-4213-B79C-1F92DD535054.jpeg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Wherever you stop always visit the tourist office. On production of a Stellplatz ticket or receipt some will provide a local tourist ticket for free use of public transport. Not everywhere but we have used them a lot.
100% agree with this. We've had free local transport (always buses, but on occasion regional trains too) from the Tourist Office (or sometimes from direct the site / stellplatz) during the last month all over the Black Forest and Bavaria. The pass lasts for the day of arrival till the day of departure. Just show it to the driver

Germany also very accommodating to dogs on public transport.

Enjoy Füssen. Absolutely spectacular castles.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Not for me you have to be a certain type of tosse person to own/drive one of them😂😂
99% of them will be lucky if they are drove up onto a kerb or through a puddle😁😁
Seriously expensive bit of kit if you like that sort of thing
A3CA96A2-6BDB-460E-801C-E2622ECE67D3.jpeg
4AADA28D-F8EF-49C3-99F6-3F48538682CB.jpeg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Chucking down with rain

View attachment 801415
Where abouts are you? We've had 6 days of rain, thunderstorms and hail in southern Bavaria / Austria. We gave up on mountain hiking and hit the beer halls of Munich and Salzburg instead! Today is the first fairly decent day for a while. We even had half an hour of sun! Forecast looks to be picking up for the next few days though thank god.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I can recommend camping Hopfersee near Fussen.

The Chitty castle is pretty but essentially empty, so ? worth internal visit.
A great walk around the rear to the little mountain lake.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back