Repair info question (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2024
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 22
I have been searching and asking around repair shops and and breakers and asked on a couple of FB forums and it's surprisingly difficult to get a straight answer. Anyone I've asked to repair it said it might or might not be suitable for plastic welding and I don't want to take a trek until I know.

This is a 2005 Chausson Welcome 22 with a Ford body.

Can anyone tell me what's involved in repairing this? Is it fibreglass? GRP? Or would it be a plastic suitable for welding? What are the chances of finding an identical part for it somewhere?

If it's fibreglass nobody will touch motorhome repairs where I am.

Thanks for any info.

IMG_20240402_114042.jpg

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just a guess from the pic, but I'd say it's plastic and not grp, mainly because the scratches by the broken repeater light doesn't look to have a gel coat (grp) or fibres visible and the colour fade on the recessed groove above that is darker where the UV hasn't faded it, which happens more with plastic ? 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi sorry you’ve got this problem.
I would have said it’s plastic as that is what a lot of trim is made from. The extent of the damage is difficult to determine from your photograph as the tape is actually hiding the damage.
On a previous van I smashed up my rear bumper and light and a garage in Southampton plastic welded it. You wouldn’t have known it was damaged afterwards.
Sorry that one of the replies sounded slightly sarcastic.I’m sure it wasn’t meant in a nasty way as this forum prides itself on helping people out and especially welcoming new members.
Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had to delete some posts in this thread because some people just love to be a smart arse. You get a laugh, while we lose a member who might have gone on to contribute here for years. Imagine if your first post here was met with such sarcasm. :doh:. Thread closed the poster has gone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back