Removing the VisionPlus aerial-how to? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Never use the terrestrial TV so would like to remove the Vision Plus aerial which takes up useful space in our wardrobe. I’ve already removed the signal amplifier and cut the coaxial cable at the base of the aerial mast. I’ve managed to remove the plastic locking plate (marked 1 in the photo) that should be held by three screws (it isn’t) but I can’t seem to pull the mast (2 in the photo) down even though the coaxial cable has been cut. As I understand it, the shaft contains the coaxial cable, and gearing that allows one to position the aerial by turning a little handle at the base of the aerial. What do I need to do to leave just the aerial, gaiter etc on the roof but removing all the internal stuff cluttering the wardrobe?

For the moment, I want to retain the Vision plus roof fitting to prevent any leaking but in the future, I intend to either fit a Poynting wifi aerial or failing that, I’ll just cover the Vision plus roof hole with a blanking plate.
IMG_0984.jpeg

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Do the reverse of this….?

edit: never done it myself, but this video tells you how it all fits together………

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The roof part is attached to the pole so you cannot just remove the pole.
You could just cut through the pole just underneath the locking nut.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I've just removed mine. The ring you indicated unscrews, then the mast/pole pulls out from the top of the van with the aerial attached. I'm not sure how you could remove the pole and leave the antenna on the roof - as Mikeco says you would have to cut the pole.

I removed the aerial on it's pole, and unscrewed the gland/grommet from outside, this left a nice big flat plate which I then sealed up with a new flat plate cut from some sheet ABS.

If yours is the same setup outside and you want to do the same, rather than cutting the pole, then let me know what size plate you need and I'll cut you a blanking plate and drop it in the post.

My thread, with pictures: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...rial-to-fit-solar-panels.286790/#post-5788221

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I removed mine a few months ago to put a 5G antenna in its place. As JimmE said, the pole with the antenna on the end slides up through the hole. It leaves a pretty big hole. I believe you can buy a bung from VisionPlus?

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
They do have two versions of the blanking plug - one for older and one for newer systems. The one for newer systems specifically says not for long term use - perhaps just covering themselves - but I didn't want to risk a leak! Having seen the flat plate fitted to the roof of the van, it seemed easy/safe enough to me to simply seal another slightly smaller flat plate to the top of it - although that's slightly less easy to reverse having used Sikaflex, but I guess a non-setting mastic would be an option if a couple of screws were added, and would then be entirely reversable if needed.

I also intend to fit a 4G antenna at some point, did consider reusing the pole but it would still have blocked us from fitting the larger solar panels, so that's still a 'future problem' to solve :)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Screenshot 2023-09-15 104128.jpg

Screenshot 2023-09-15 105230.jpg

I removed my VisionPlus aerial a few months ago as it would have been blocking the solar I was installing. After unscrewing the plastic locking ring from the inside and disconnecting the coax it was a simple job of lifting it up. I then unscrewed the mounting plate with the rubber seal on the roof leaving the mounting plate you see in my first picture. I could have 3D printed a blanking plate and covered and painted it but instead decided to fit a a much smaller TV aerial(70% as good) and a Poynting antenna. I need to put some insulation on the inside as there will be condensation otherwise with winter coming. I sold the VisionPlus aerial(it was perfect for flat roof install) and left the amp in place for the new TV aerial and I borrowed the 12V supply for the MiFi as that is in use 90% of the time - I can swap the power anytime I want. The biggest challenge I had was the double barrelled cable from the Poynting antenna coming through the solar gland. I ended up 3D printing my own gland in TPU.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I need to put some insulation on the inside as there will be condensation otherwise with winter coming.
Insulation under the thin plastic cover is a good point - will sort that this weekend!

The biggest challenge I had was the double barrelled cable from the Poynting antenna coming through the solar gland. I ended up 3D printing my own gland in TPU.
Ah yes, I've a similar/same Poynting 4G antenna with the double cable, I started looking for a suitable gland insert, but didn't get as far as ordering any to try. I still need to decide how I'm going to fix the aerial to the roof anyway - need to find or make some kind of bracket I think.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I made a part so that I could run my starlink cable using the same hole as didn't want to cut another one in the roof. Works really well and no leaks at all. It has a pole that still goes into the hole but so that you can keep it in place from the inside so it doesnt move. I left a gap at the base of the roof so water runs around the actual main hole but it wont actually go into the hole as thats approx 30mm from base and water disperses of the roof before that happens. Printed in ASA and then i primered it and sprayed it which is shown on the finished product installed on the roof not in the pic below.
Also is an option to sikaflex it flat to the roof if required as the print is 100% so no chance if it seaping through as that is why the base of this is so thick as thats what I was going to do but then realised i didnt need to do that.

1694774362745.png
1694774665074.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
I made a part so that I could run my starlink cable using the same hole as didn't want to cut another one in the roof. Works really well and no leaks at all. It has a pole that still goes into the hole but so that you can keep it in place from the inside so it doesnt move. I left a gap at the base of the roof so water runs around the actual main hole but it wont actually go into the hole as thats approx 30mm from base and water disperses of the roof before that happens. Printed in ASA and then i primered it and sprayed it which is shown on the finished product installed on the roof not in the pic below.
Also is an option to sikaflex it flat to the roof if required as the print is 100% so no chance if it seaping through as that is why the base of this is so thick as thats what I was going to do but then realised i didnt need to do that.
I should have done something similar rather than use the solar gland you see in my picture.

Reactions: zac
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I just dropped a Poynting MIMO antenna over the hole... easier on a coachbuild with a flat roof. And I filled the spare space around the hole with a 3d printed sleeve that took me less than an hour to design and print.

• Informative

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I just dropped a Poynting MIMO antenna over the hole... easier on a coachbuild with a flat roof. And I filled the spare space around the hole with a 3d printed sleeve that took me less than an hour to design and print.
i am assuming though that you had to remove the components left over from the aerial on the roof?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
i am assuming though that you had to remove the components left over from the aerial on the roof?
Yes. I used a craft knife to cut the sealant under the old aerial mounting plate. Then sealant remover to dissolve what was left. Several rounds of soapy water to clean off the residue. Then an alcohol wipe before sticking down the Poynting antenna. I only used the foam pad supplied, no additional sealant. No issues so far, but it's only been a few months.

• Informative
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I've just removed mine. The ring you indicated unscrews, then the mast/pole pulls out from the top of the van with the aerial attached. I'm not sure how you could remove the pole and leave the antenna on the roof - as Mikeco says you would have to cut the pole.

I removed the aerial on it's pole, and unscrewed the gland/grommet from outside, this left a nice big flat plate which I then sealed up with a new flat plate cut from some sheet ABS.

If yours is the same setup outside and you want to do the same, rather than cutting the pole, then let me know what size plate you need and I'll cut you a blanking plate and drop it in the post.

My thread, with pictures: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...rial-to-fit-solar-panels.286790/#post-5788221
Thank you for this. I don’t want to keep the aerial. I realise that if I push the pole up from the inside (after undoing all the internal locking rings etc) the aerial attached to the pole will be removed.
I’m just not sure when I‘ll be ready to fit a Poynting aerial or to seal the hole left after the aerial’s removal.
So I was thinking of cutting the pole as a short-term measure to give space in the cupboard but still have the hole in the roof sealed by the aerial. If that makes sense!🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back