Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
We're closing in on our visit to regal - the end of March. We're considering leather for driver and passenger seats because they get so much use, not for the rear seating though, only the driver and passenger.

Having seen newer vans differentiate the seat coverings in the front and back - we have an L shaped rear lounge - that doesn't bother me. Any other considerations?

d

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Depends on the leather, depends on the cloth. My last van had nice leather, quite soft. My current van has fabric and is quite hard and unforgiving.
My current car has "leather" and is hard and cold. My last car had beautiful soft leather that radiated warmth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I guess the soft leather might not give the hard wear easy clean properties I was thinking about, but the hard leather would be less comfortable 🙄

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

d

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Sitting on our 4th leather suite at home I would say that the durability of leather depends more on the finish rather than the softness. This one is both soft and warm and now into its 4th year without a single mark or scratch. You just know it won't easilly scratch.
The first one we ever had scratched on the first day as my mother bought us some scatter cushions with zips, ouch!
Our next one was ultra scratch resistant but was hard leather probably with a plasticised coating.
20230222_094559.jpg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Leather needs to be looked after, got to be careful with jeans, sweaty in the summer and cold in the winter.

Automotive fabrics are hard wearing, breathable and can be steam cleaned or detergents applied.

Personally I think leather is a perceived luxury that's actually worse than fabric.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
When our van converted we were given the choice of real leather or an imitation type leather (off top of head cant recall name) used extensively in the boating world..
Think it was slightly dearer than real leather put I challenge anyone to tell the difference.
After nearly 6yrs both front seats are good as new.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
How about a combination? Regal did us fabric seats with soft leather trimming that has lasted really well and to us looks much nicer than all fabric or all leather. We give ours a rub down with leather conditioning/cleaning wipes every six months or so to keep them looking smart.
Very helpful people who can offer all sorts of suggestions - suggest you opt for the firm seat filling, it seems hard at first but after a little use we find it very comfortable and supportive.
Had ours done 5/6 years ago and still looks like new! You can get it done cheaper but their ability to do the whole van in one day with quality materials and workmanship makes Regal the obvious choice if that's what you're after.

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Yeah, the cloth middle and leather edging look lovely. I think this is a good compromise with hard-wearing leather where you slide in and out. I guess the cloth middle can then be used for the lounge.

d

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Next door to Regal may start very early, but so do Regal. We had to be ready for them to start at 7.30am. Very early for us pensioners :giggler:
Regal did an excellent job. DaveFromBarr - if you are still undecided when you get there, why not ask their advice?
Sue

OP
OP
DaveFromBarrow

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Next door to Regal may start very early, but so do Regal. We had to be ready for them to start at 7.30am. Very early for us pensioners :giggler:
Regal did an excellent job. DaveFromBarr - if you are still undecided when you get there, why not ask their advice?
Sue
Thanks Sue, good plan and makes sense. We did plan on taking their advice but wanted to have a rough idea of what we wanted. We'll arrive on the Monday for a Tuesday job so will have time to contemplate :)

d

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yeah, the cloth middle and leather edging look lovely. I think this is a good compromise with hard-wearing leather where you slide in and out. I guess the cloth middle can then be used for the lounge.

d
Or Alcantara in the middle with leather edging. That would be my choice in a reupholstery job

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We used Regal some years ago. White and yellow leather cab seats and rear lounge. They even did the curtains and matching cushions. Splendid job. Very versatile and wipe clean.

View attachment 719185
That's very cheerful :)

Jan 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1994
We're closing in on our visit to regal - the end of March. We're considering leather for driver and passenger seats because they get so much use, not for the rear seating though, only the driver and passenger.

Having seen newer vans differentiate the seat coverings in the front and back - we have an L shaped rear lounge - that doesn't bother me. Any other considerations?

d
We have part leather done about 10 years ago. Very satisfied.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Not done by regal, but totally transformed the look and feel of our 16 year old van

FB_IMG_1662313255366.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back