Random Events or Electrically Linked? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Random Events or Electrically Linked?

The story so far.

The vehicle: 2015 Carthago Chic C-Line. Somewhat neglected since Oct. 2022. It has stood on my drive on EHU but otherwise untouched due to me still recovering from a spinal fracture about 12 months ago.

A while back I found the Vanbitz Growler was not working correctly with the hab and passenger doors; all other sensors were working.

Today I took the van to Vanbitz (VB) for rectification. It started first time and drove like it had never been off the road. Weather foul, really heavy rain. On the way I noticed that the OAT was indicating 3 degs on the dash, whereas the actual OAT was about 9 degs.

Arrived at VB and the fault was corrected. New sensor magnets needed on the two doors. Thanks Ash, Nick and team.

Left VB for home in Yeovil again in more torrential rain.

Just outside Taunton in heavy traffic my right-hand indicators failed. Nothing from all three lights. It really upset a BMW driver when I used a hand signal.

The problem continued to Southwest MH’s who were kind enough to get their electrician to look it over. He could only spare about 10 mins and was unable to find the cause. Booked the van in for an in-depth check and left. On the way back it all came back again and is still working. The only fault still present is the incorrect OAT.

So, what is the problem or problems and how should I proceed, and where is the temperature sensor located?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Random Events or Electrically Linked?

The story so far.

The vehicle: 2015 Carthago Chic C-Line. Somewhat neglected since Oct. 2022. It has stood on my drive on EHU but otherwise untouched due to me still recovering from a spinal fracture about 12 months ago.

A while back I found the Vanbitz Growler was not working correctly with the hab and passenger doors; all other sensors were working.

Today I took the van to Vanbitz (VB) for rectification. It started first time and drove like it had never been off the road. Weather foul, really heavy rain. On the way I noticed that the OAT was indicating 3 degs on the dash, whereas the actual OAT was about 9 degs.

Arrived at VB and the fault was corrected. New sensor magnets needed on the two doors. Thanks Ash, Nick and team.

Left VB for home in Yeovil again in more torrential rain.

Just outside Taunton in heavy traffic my right-hand indicators failed. Nothing from all three lights. It really upset a BMW driver when I used a hand signal.

The problem continued to Southwest MH’s who were kind enough to get their electrician to look it over. He could only spare about 10 mins and was unable to find the cause. Booked the van in for an in-depth check and left. On the way back it all came back again and is still working. The only fault still present is the incorrect OAT.

So, what is the problem or problems and how should proceed and where is the temperature sensor located?
I wonder if some of the fault's could be damp on the circuit boards. I'd be tempted to drive it every few days and see if they recurr before paying a garage.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly temperature sensor is a known failure in giving wrong temps…

Secondly have you checked for any mice indications..? They like nibbling wires…😎
Do you have any idea where the sensor is located. I would not normally be too bothered but the dash is showing the frost / ice symbol and is irritating and it has never been wrong before. I know there is some form of sensor near the hab batteries; is that it?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
On the fiats it is in the passenger wing mirror but on the aclass hymer I had it was down in the front wing, it could be anywhere the converter wants it I’m afraid…😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If OAT you refer to outside ambient temperature, most vehicles place that sensor in the front grill, or near by.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
I’m sure I read on here somewhere that it is in the mirror housing. Don’t rely on that answer though, I could be wrong.
I’ll have a search for it.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Our OAT always shows the frost symbol and hovers at about -25 🙂 I found the OAT sensor tucked up behind the front nearside wheel near the marker light,only a tiny thing.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The link between the two is the loom behind the instrument binacle. That needs checking for damage or a loose or slightly corroded plug

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The link between the two is the loom behind the instrument binacle. That needs checking for damage or a loose or slightly corroded plug
That makes a lot of sense to me as the correct operation of the indicators seemed to return just after I had adjusted the steering wheel position. Any idea how I can remove the binacle?

Unfortunately the problem also seems to be associated with the operation of the alarm system.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On my last Carthago it was nest to the chassis rail near to the exhaust.
That is the one for the hab control panel it's the Fiat one he is looking for, probably behind the front bumper but with an A Class it could be anywhere.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The binnacle is accessed by removing the top panel above it and the plastic panels around the steering column shroud. I would expect that the alarm wiring is behind there and the glove box too

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
On my Compactline the external temp sensor went on the blink a year or so back. Managed to get one from a damaged mirror at Adams Morey. It was located below and about a foot behind the left-hand side passenger door. It's small. Don't blink, you'll miss it.

As for the indicators, I'd agree it might be a bit of damp. Cook the van in some hot sun for a while( relocation may be required!) and see it that sorts it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back