Rainwater possibly getting in through TV Antenna (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Hi All.

We have recently joined this group along with our new mobile home. We love it apart from we have sprung a leak. This is bad news anyway but worse because of the constant rain we are having. Water is dripping down from the wire from the antenna where it come into the wardrobe (and when the rain was really bad the other weekend it was coming through a join in the ceiling as well). We have been up a ladder and had a look at possible causes and it's most likely to be the antenna. The join between the base of the antenna and the roof looks to be well sealed. We put some duct tape around the 'stalk' of the antenna just in case it was coming in through where the dome joins the foot and thought we'd cracked it. Hah, not a chance. We've just been out and checked and there is water dripping again. It's a Vision Plus Status 315 antenna. I wouldn't mind but we don't even watch TV or listen to radio in the camper van and I have no idea if the darn thing even works!

Has anyone had the same problem? And if so, how did you solve it?

Sheila

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
What a bummer, tie a bin bag over it for the moment ? And that St Swithen's bloke has a lot to answer for !

OP
OP
C
Feb 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Not a bad call as temporary fix. If the seal at the base is good and the join half-way up is taped, then I suppose if the water stops we can be sure that it's something to do with the top of it. I just don't know if it will hold when we are driving!

We honestly thought our days of getting wet camping were over once we'd bought a van!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
If you do not use it why not remove it and cover with an aluminium plate stuck down with Sikaflex.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I know the model you are talking about is an omni-directional "spaceship" design but the rotatable \ tiltable Status type aerials can suffer from a leak at the joint with water appearing as a drip from the cable as it exists the internal tube. It's as a result of the seals internal at the top of the tube having failed.

Wonder if your style has similar seals and they've failed?:unsure:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Buy some self amalgamating rubber tape from screwfix/ toolstation and wrap a few turns around the stalk of the antennae . Use sealant around the base of the antennae and where the cable gland is or the cable going through the roof ,(puraflex 40 from the same outlets)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Feb 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Thank you everyone for your ideas. We've decided to go with a black bag taped over the whole thing for a few days of rain just to be sure that the water is definitely getting in via the antennae before we commit to more drastic action. Although it is a tiltable model so I am sure you're right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back