Poland - top tips, places to see? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi

We've had a weeks fly-train-city break in Krakow & Warsaw, so visited those in depth (as well as the obvious sites local to them)

Just booked the tunnel for a 6 week trip later in the year and vague idea of heading east through the top of Germany, into Poland, and do a loop and come back.

Apart from a pleasant weeks "holiday" we know little about Poland, or whats good to see/do. (Germany we know fairly well so happy to "rush" most of it as been there many times previously)

Ideas and previous trip itineraries most welcome! Insight & Rough Guides on order.

TIA :)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We went along the north coast in summer 2018.
Schwerin ( Germany) beautiful lake swimming
Wolin for the huge festival of Slavs and Vikings.
Rowy a busy seaside town.
Gardno lake for paddle boarding..
Gdansk including the must visit Solidarity museum..
20180808_184216.jpg

Malbork for a night tour of the castle.
Elblag to see the boat lift.
Hitler's headquarters, the Wolf's Lair near Ketrazyn..
Mikolajki , a bit like Windermere.
Then into the Baltic States then back to the primeval Bialoweiza forest where we cycled into Belarus( I doubt that's an option now) then down the east border and on to Krakow and did all the sites.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Peenamunde is an interesting visit prior to arriving in Poland and then Szczecin is quite pretty. A stay at the Marina camp site and a walk round th3 marina is enjoyable. Then head inland to Czaplinek (the Lake District of Poland.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
nicholsong would have some great ideas for your trip (y)

I am afraid I am quite ignorant about Poland.

I have been to Krakow which is worth a visit and last year we went to the Nature Reserves in SE Poland.

Other than that we have not done much touring in Poland - we tend to head for France and up until 2 years ago had to take the UK-registered MH to UK for MOT.

I have never been to the N. of Poland - coast, lakes etc. We often go down to the Tatra Mts. in Slowakia, only about 150km for us.

What I can tell you is that wildcamping is easy, fuel is cheaper than most places and shopping, including booze, is cheapish - we drink a Spanish Shiraz for under £3 and was on offer recently for £2.60, so we bought 50 bottles.

This year in May we are off to Germany and France, back to Poland for July/Aug and then in Sept again to Greece.

You have already got more touring info above than I can give you.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Schindlers factory in Krakow, also the square of the chairs (and chemist). Not forgetting Auschwitz.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't remember the name of but I think it was just south of Krakow there is a very interesting salt mine it has a big underground chaple that is quite amassing, couldn't have been that far we got the bus there

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Thanks, great info above.
But we will not to go Krakow or Warsaw as have been there and seen most touristy things there - though sadly missed Schindlers factory as it was fully booked, but did the rest.

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
We were surprised how nice Gdansk was and the coastline.
Second Gdańsk, we loved it. There's some rough ground available to park on by the marina that we used for free, the marina were really nice & let us pay for their facilities - toilets, showers, water, washing machine. Very centrally located too. Will defo do Poland again.

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Have you thought about Zakopane a lovely old town, on the edge of the high Tatra's, that is entirely made of wood, complete with wooden Chapel and an amazing graveyard with carved wooden memorials.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Have you thought about Zakopane a lovely old town, on the edge of the high Tatra's, that is entirely made of wood, complete with wooden Chapel and an amazing graveyard with carved wooden memorials.
Daughter went there and loved it.

Jul 20, 2019
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur LVX855 A
Exp
Since 2001
And Zakopane has one of the best markets in Poland. Also Amber is very unreasonably priced there.
We also bought a fabulous goat skin bed throw there - great for the winter in the van.

Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
Can't remember the name of but I think it was just south of Krakow there is a very interesting salt mine it has a big underground chaple that is quite amassing, couldn't have been that far we got the bus there
Wieliczka Salt Mine, it is amazing isn’t it! It was used as a hospital for people with respiratory condition, and they perform weddings there now too.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Sounds like I must put Poland on the to do list👍