Oyster Satellite system with CI receiver. (1 Viewer)

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Now that the BBC only show TV in HD, I find that we can't watch any BBC channels on our Oyster system. Even after retuning we have no HD channels so I'm guessing the CI receiver is SD only.

Does anyone know of a fix for this please? If I have to replace the receiver for an updated HD box, what am I looking for? Thanks.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
My understanding was that so long as the sat dish and LNB can pick up the type of signal from whichever satellite its been told to point out by the 'controller' then its the 'bit' that decodes that signal, ie your tv if it has an inbuilt tuner or whatever tuner/box you use, that may need to be replaced or 'retuned' (if thats possible)

i assume more techy people will be along soon to clarify.

OP
OP
dally
Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Thanks. Our TV does have a freesat decoder and I can use that. However, the Oyster has an automatic skew which moves with pretty much every channel change. If I use the TV decoder then the skew doesn't move so you get only what it has at that skew setting. Or at least that's what appears to be happening.

I was hoping someone might recommend a HD drop in receiver. I'm struggling to find weather it's as simple as take one out and just replace it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Now that the BBC only show TV in HD, I find that we can't watch any BBC channels on our Oyster system. Even after retuning we have no HD channels so I'm guessing the CI receiver is SD only.

Does anyone know of a fix for this please? If I have to replace the receiver for an updated HD box, what am I looking for? Thanks.
dally The Oyster system has an SD receiver built in which is why you can no longer receive the BBC services. If you have a HD decoder you can loop from the Oyster receiver into this to restore the channels. If you'd like to discuss this in more detail then please give me a call on 01858575928. The office is open until 4pm this afternoon and we reopen Monday morning at 8:30am

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Why do you need HD, with the size screen in the Motorhome you won't notice the difference.
The only BBC services now running are HD. Regardless of TV capabilities you need a HD receiver in order to receive them.

OP
OP
dally
Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
dally The Oyster system has an SD receiver built in which is why you can no longer receive the BBC services. If you have a HD decoder you can loop from the Oyster receiver into this to restore the channels. If you'd like to discuss this in more detail then please give me a call on 01858575928. The office is open until 4pm this afternoon and we reopen Monday morning at 8:30am
Many thanks for this. I was busy yesterday and I've only just seen this. Yes I would love to talk to you about this on Monday. Thank you.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

After BBC went HD only I gave swapped out the Pace receiver for an Openbox HD one I had spare
All is working fine ( at the moment )

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Our sky box in our french holiday cottage where bbc 1 was on 102 we can still watch it on 803

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back