Omnistor awning will only wind out halfway (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
After the mad dash to get my awning in at 3am this morning, I thought I would wind it back out to keep the dog a bit drier- he does love to lie out whatever the weather!

Unfortunately, it would only wind out half way. I didn’t want to force it in case I couldn’t get it back in again.

Any ideas? I am at the Stratford show if there are any experts here ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ours did similar but one side did keep going out

I have vivid / fond memories of Terry helping, it was the first time we had met and he put all his weight behind a massive tug on the end that wasn’t coming out ?

Solved the issue, the canvas had folded over itself

I said to Terry, you were brave tugging that hard?

His reply, typical Terry, why it’s not my awning and anyway it was bust already couldn’t get much worse ??

Good luck

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Mine winds out normally until it gets halfway and then it just stops.

I always drop the legs as soon as I can reach them and tried raising and lowering them to see if the angle made a difference but it didn’t.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our Omnistore has locks in the corner roof bars, the older one didn’t have them though

If locked it will make winding in or out difficult, but I would have thought that would have stopped it going away last night, unless adrenalin cut in ?

If they are not locked my suggestion would be find 2 people to put gentle pulling tension on front while you unwind, can’t see you making it any worse

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My guess (as an Omistor owner)
Lubricate all joints and movable parts with silicone spray

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
What is the collective noun for a group of experts? Dunno but they just descended on my van and all it needed was a bit of a tug. Sorted.

Don’t you just love Funsters? ?
Well,an “ex” is a has been.
And a “spert/spurt” is a drip under pressure.
Take your pick.
By the way,be careful you don’t lower your legs then raise them higher then lower too often..........folk may think you are up to something a trifle naughty. :roflmto: :roflmto: ;);)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What is the collective noun for a group of experts? Dunno but they just descended on my van and all it needed was a bit of a tug. Sorted.

Don’t you just love Funsters? ?

It has it's advantages well done, tuggers are not so bad, especially when your on a wet field and they have a 4 x 4 . :rofl: Bob.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We had a virtually identical problem with our Omnistor a few weeks back. I applied my usual technical approach to it (brute force and plenty of ignorance!) The result was it suddenly gave way and a mysterious part flew out of the mechanism near the winder. We were anxious about it in case it was an essential component and the awning was now liable to fall apart.

I emailed Rose Awnings to see if they could advise, and got this very helpful response from John Rose: “Nothing really to worry about. This is a fabric limiter catch. It can be problematic and the awning is fine without it. Its job is to stop the cloth being wound around the roller tube the wrong way”

Just in case the OP finds a sheared part near the awning! (If you do, contact me and I’ll send a picture of our broken part to compare.)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We had our van in for it's hab service today and I asked them if they could look at our awning as we couldn't get it all the way back in due to two creases in the material despite trying many, many times. It turned out that we'd had it all the way out to it's end and had been trying to wind it back in by turning the handle the wrong direction causing it to crease. Ours isn't an Omnistor but it may help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back