North Wales recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
Evening everyone!
We are heading to Wales mid September, I have a family get together at zipworld in Penrhyn so we have booked a couple of nights on the quarry view campsite.
We would like to go for a couple of 2 night stays prior to this but have no idea about where is good, a bit of info on us, we like good views, maybe near water, like a walk, maybe a pub meal and will have a small dog with us.
Mountainous, lakes and countryside are ideal for us.
What do you guys recommend?
We are in a 5mtr camper, have everything we need Inc indoor loo but showers would be great.
Thanks in advance.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Look around Betws Y Coed. It's lovely and there's a couple of sites near there. And not too far from Penrhyn zipwire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
 If out of school holidays then try Trawsdir, Barmouth, 5* but ask for a pitch with a sea view. Pub is a walk across the enclosed dog exercise field away, long, long walks up in the hills behind the site.

Again, out of season especially mid week, try "The Waterfalls" Rhaeader Nantcol, it can be an "interesting drive up there (we've been up in a 7.2m Coachbuilt). Very remote (no pub) but fires allowed and lots and lots of fantastic walking.

Out of season some people enjoy Shell, find a cliff top view of the sea, and you can walk into Barmouth along the beach if the tide lets you.

Gwersyllfa Pant Onnen at Langower Point on Bala Lake puts you right on the water's edge. With a good walk into town for a pint in the Bull's Head with the local raft guides (a few hours rafting on the Tryweryn goes well with a zip line).

Cheers
Red

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Bala is quite a way from Penrhyn Quarry and Barmouth is even further, There are a lot of mountains in the way. You would probably find somewhere close to A5 or A55 most convenient. Betwys y Coed is nice if the weather is OK, I think there's still Motorhome parking at Conway and there are quite a few pubstops around there, but we havent used any lately because we re not really going to Wales any more.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I think there's still Motorhome parking at Conway and there are quite a few pubstops around there, but we havent used any lately because we re not really going to Wales any more.
There is motorhome parking at Morfa Bach car park but no overnighting . All of North Wales coast is very anti motorhome and campsites overpriced better off heading to mid Wales Brecon areas are motorhome friendly

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
The above is true of course if you really are not interested in seeing some of the best parts of North Wales and only want to travel on a soulless dual carriage way :rolleyes:

From Sheffield at the end of the M56 join the A494, when you get to Ewloe Green exit to stay on the A494 and follow this until you meet the A5 nr Corwen, after the Rhug Estate Cafe (don't bother it's not worth it) take the A494 again to Bala, you can stay here and then head North on some amazing roads to Zip World, or you can carry on to the beautiful Ceredigion Bay with sunsets to rival any Caribbean Island, then again head North to your rendezvous.

On the way home you can experience the joys of the A55 :whistle2:

Cheers
Red.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The above is true of course if you really are not interested in seeing some of the best parts of North Wales and only want to travel on a soulless dual carriage way :rolleyes:

From Sheffield at the end of the M56 join the A494, when you get to Ewloe Green exit to stay on the A494 and follow this until you meet the A5 nr Corwen, after the Rhug Estate Cafe (don't bother it's not worth it) take the A494 again to Bala, you can stay here and then head North on some amazing roads to Zip World, or you can carry on to the beautiful Ceredigion Bay with sunsets to rival any Caribbean Island, then again head North to your rendezvous.

On the way home you can experience the joys of the A55 :whistle2:

Cheers
Red.
The one advantage of the Rhug Estate is that you can stay over night for free. Just ask in the shop and give your reg.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
There is motorhome parking at Morfa Bach car park but no overnighting . All of North Wales coast is very anti motorhome and campsites overpriced better off heading to mid Wales Brecon areas are motorhome friendly
For 2 non EHU...

Nantcol £20
Shell midweek £24
Trawsdir (which I indicated 5*) £35
Bracdy Camping £15
and right at the bottom end...
Bryn Y Ffynnon £5

Not sure what price you balk at but I consider myself fairly tight fisted when it comes to campsites and for these I consider the prices fair, other than Shell, which should sit at no more than £20.

Thanks Caroli didn't know about the overnighting at Rhug.. (y)

Cheers
Red.

OP
OP
Dazzola
Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
That is absolutely fantastic Redframe.

Great looking places and being around water and beaches are perfect for us and the dog.
I'm liking the sound of the drive through the mountain regions, we had a similar trip in the lakes a few months ago, loved it.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated 👍

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If you like history and mining, Sygun copper mine nor far from Beddgelert now allow overnight stays for £5. There is a lay-by outside to move for the day to walk. One of the best shorter walks in the UK IMHO is there, just head up the hill behind the mine, descend right past the old cableway and drop to the bottom of the Aberglaslyn Gorge and then follow the river back.

If it was £15 to stay the night it would be worth it. 👍

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
P.s, I'm thinking Bala lake and maybe onto nantcol or trawsdir.
Only go for Trawsdir if they can give you a "Sea View" pitch. I've marked them in the image below, the pitches at the top can be a bit noisy depending on what's going on at the farm, especially at lambing, edit: I don't know if they will allow you on the camping field if you go non ehu, but that would give unrestricted sea views.

20230823_083046.jpg

If you get the right conditions this is the result...

IMG_3965.jpg

Nantcol is an amazing site re location and can be verypeaceful, but should be avoided when the schools are out and September weekends.

Cheers
Red.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bryn Y Ffynnon £5
That was going to be my suggestion, friendly owners, good country side walks right from site, 2miles to Mold, markets on Saturday and Wednesday.
We stayed 14 nights about a month ago.

OP
OP
Dazzola
Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
OK, so we booked mon/tue 11th and 12th at bala lake camping, then onto Nantcol waterfalls for midweek, then onto the zipwire for a couple of nights on the quarry view site.
Can't wait, just hope we get a little bit of dry weather.
Cheers for the help everyone, 👍

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I would definitely recommend a visit to the National Whitewater Centre for a rafting session and slice of cake in Manon's Cafe, if its not too windy there is canoe hire available at the Bala end of the lake too.

Hope you have a great time

Cheers
Red

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dazzola
Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
Just got back from our trip in North Wales, a very good time was had!
Bala was a lovely site, very good amenities, but, the train ride and cake were pretty much all it had if staying camped and not moving off in the daytime.
Nantcol waterfalls, make sure you are stocked up before you go, and no signal at all, but WiFi is on site at a few quid a day.
BUT, go for the walks! The Riverside walk was immense, we had a huge downpour during the night before so the rivers and falls were in full angry mode, the walk into the hills was staggering, and the muddy terrier loved it.

Last stop was quarry view touring park, a crazy little site behind some old quarry town housing, but such a gem, perfect host, lovely amenities and quiet, and the fish and chips delivered to site were great!
It's a tired small town though so you need to up sticks for the day to get the best of it.
The zip wire was epic, and the drive to it on the A5, wow!
Thanks for all the pointers, we will definitely be going back to North Wales.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back