Norfolk N Signal (3/Smarty) (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Just a heads up to anyone heading to the Runton/Cromer boarder (to be exact, The Seacroft site) and you have any carrier using the 3 network....be aware, you will have near on zilch signal!

Not experienced this since early 2000's

Couple next to us on O2 had no issues and we were fine off site, circa 50 yards out of site

EE sim ordered, Smarty sim soon to be relocating to the bin!

My Phone is dual sim, if I pause my smarty plan, can I still receive calls and messages? (Just until I've gotten around changing my number to all that needs....I know I can port but may as well take the opportunity in getting a number swap)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My family go to Wells and Stiffkey every year. Three is the only solid network there. EE is marginal. Vodafone and O2 are useless.

Once you're away from the larger towns, particularly on coastal areas where coverage is harder, it's near random which providers will work.

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
My family go to Wells and Stiffkey every year. Three is the only solid network there. EE is marginal. Vodafone and O2 are useless.

Once you're away from the larger towns, particularly on coastal areas where coverage is harder, it's near random which providers will work.
Interesting!
I assumed it was just 3 network having the struggle as it's unusual to hear of network providers giving out poor coverage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Is it possibly just a mast that’s faulty?
Never thought of that...just assumed the network's patchy there, especially after reading a few threads on here from others who have issues with 3 signal in general

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Problem is sims are mostly on 30 days so carrying a choice could be costly if you don’t activate the best one for your location.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
3 was always shite in both suffolk & Norfolk . Go to Devon , theres no signal from along the north devon link road from tiverton To nearly Barnstaple. been like it years.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
EE have 4 different frequency bands. The one with the longest range is band 20 (800MHz). It's the one they tend to use for rural areas because it gives good coverage, although the trade-off is not as much bandwidth.

Not all resellers that ride on the EE network have access to band 20. E.g. Plusnet and RWG don't.

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
EE have 4 different frequency bands. The one with the longest range is band 20 (800MHz). It's the one they tend to use for rural areas because it gives good coverage, although the trade-off is not as much bandwidth.

Not all resellers that ride on the EE network have access to band 20. E.g. Plusnet and RWG don't.
Interesting, as are all comments received, and much appreciated
Thank you

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Been in the same home in Norfolk for 24 years (NR13) can get no signal inside and only Vodaphone will work outside, lucky we got wifi calling!

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Been in the same home in Norfolk for 24 years (NR13) can get no signal inside and only Vodaphone will work outside, lucky we got wifi calling!
That would have been great to use (WiFi calling) if the piggin mobile data worked
🫣😆

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
3 is a mystery to me, my phone is on 3 and the signal was rubbish at Topsham but my very old mifi locked to 3 worked with a Smarty sim better than my phone which makes no sense at all. I had to turn data off and use wifi, if I left data on my phone struggled. I doubt it would have been any good for streaming but it was fine for ipads and phones.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was touring around that area a week ago I'm on voda. Julie on O2, never saw anywhere we didn't have a signal.

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
Technology is both a blessing and a curse

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
What do expect in Norfolk?! One of the best things about the county is you can’t get a b****y phone signal. Takes you back in time to an age when we weren’t all dependant on constant contact and just enjoyed being away from the everyday routine of life.

There are loads of areas in UK where you can’t get a signal on your phone. We are the dinosaurs of Europe when it comes to phone signal technology.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
We don’t have dual carriageways either. That’s why I love living here. The 3 signal is pretty rubbish or non existent in many parts of Norfolk. I love it when my brother comes down and tells me what a great deal he has got on his phone, apparently 3 works in Rochdale. He then has to borrow mine to phone his children as he can’t get a signal. Blast I larf 🙂

OP
OP
Elsie2010
Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
We don’t have dual carriageways either. That’s why I love living here. The 3 signal is pretty rubbish or non existent in many parts of Norfolk. I love it when my brother comes down and tells me what a great deal he has got on his phone, apparently 3 works in Rochdale. He then has to borrow mine to phone his children as he can’t get a signal. Blast I larf 🙂
Can you please though, dig up the piggin Queen Elizabeth roundabout....us Midlands folks have only managed to tackle those mini roundabouts

It's like playing roulette when you enter that thing 😆

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
3 was always shite in both suffolk & Norfolk . Go to Devon , theres no signal from along the north devon link road from tiverton To nearly Barnstaple. been like it years.
We live in a not spot of which there are many nearby. WiFi calling works well at home, but incoming calls fail 99% of the time.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Does norfolk have electricity yet :LOL:
A glut of it with offshore wind farms and good agricultural land being turned over to solar.

So much indeed National Grid want to finish the destruction of the beauty of South Norfolk, the length of Suffolk and the nicer part of Essex by putting up massive pylons to get the power to London via Tilbury. There is a major campaign on to get them to put it off-shore that apparently will be cheaper.

Edit to add. Those that know I hate Facebook with a passion, this is the only group I am in as organised by Rosie.

The pylons are planned to pass over the edge of the village. Probably just out of our sight unless upstairs, but right over the top of two good sets of friends, one of whom, the lady was born in the house and it's been in the family for over 300 years. It will also destroy the view as you exit Middle Wood which is ancient woodland. And that is just one small village.

Last edited:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Massive expanses of monoculture fields aren't a natural landscape either.
Depends on your definition of natural. They at least follow the like of the land, change with the seasons and are 'organic' and provide food. 50 metre high galvanised steel towers do none of those.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
A glut of it with offshore wind farms and good agricultural land being turned over to solar.

So much indeed National Grid want to finish the destruction of the beauty of South Norfolk, the length of Suffolk and the nicer part of Essex by putting up massive pylons to get the power to London via Tilbury. There is a major campaign on to get them to put it off-shore that apparently will be cheaper.

Edit to add. Those that know I hate Facebook with a passion, this is the only group I am in as organised by Rosie.

The pylons are planned to pass over the edge of the village. Probably just out of our sight unless upstairs, but right over the top of two good sets of friends, one of whom, the lady was born in the house and it's been in the family for over 300 years. It will also destroy the view as you exit Middle Wood which is ancient woodland. And that is just one small village.
Totally agree with you.The way the land by Sizewell is being trashed is also sad to see

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back