NFU - solar panels (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've been looking round at insurance for my new Carthago and have approached NFU as they seem to be recommended by some. I phoned Chichester, Louth and Norwich (my local branch). Louth will not insure anything over £75000. Both Chichester and Norwich want any solar panels professionally fitted or an engineers report to say the vehicle is roadworthy if the panels are self fitted. So this is just a heads up to anyone wanting a quote from them and who want to self fit solar panels. NFU offices may be independent but they use the same underwriters.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I think they would be on dodgy ground to refuse to pay for a claim that didn't involve the solar panels. If you were claiming for a lost/damaged solar panel or someone else was claiming off you for damage caused by your solar panel fair enough but if someone happened to rear end you it would have nothing to do with the panel.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
This year my NFU renewal came in much lower because they had moved the normal value limit from £75,000 to £100,000, which meant I no longer had to pay a higher value premium. Some of the NFU agents are really not interested in sorting out the complexities of motor home insurance. Brockenhurst (01590 624744) have always been prepared to sort out my requests, including having a methanol powered Efoy fuel cell fitted. Apparently my one was the first time NFU had been asked about this but they sorted it out for me.

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
April 2023 .....
We have just insured with NFU (via their main phone number 0808 296 3839 rather than using a branch) and had a very positive experience.
As we had been finding it difficult to get cover for our new vehicle due to it's value, as Aviva (direct and also via Comfort and AIB) and others would not insure it without a Cat 5 tracker being fitted before collection from the dealer. Which was a problem as had arranged for the alarm / tracker system to be fitted elsewhere.
Anyway after a recommendation from Ash at VanBitz (y) to try NFU they were great and would cover the vehicle as long as it had a Cat 2 immobiliser fitted (which I think is pretty standard for most base vehicle vans now) so all good.
They even transferred my wifes NCD (sold her vehicle 6 months ago) to myself as the policyholder for our campervan and so their price was also the lowest.

NFU £308 (includes £40 to protect NCD)
Comfort £468 (tracker required day 1 but after some pressure they relented slightly and said had to be fitted the same day as collection - which was not practical)
AIB £499 (tracker required - no leeway)
Caravan Guard £637 (tracker fitting appointment within 14 days of collection and also require a disklok or similar device).

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have just insured with NFU (via their main phone number 0808 296 3839 rather than using a branch) and had a very positive experience.
As we had been finding it difficult to get cover for our new vehicle due to it's value, as Aviva (direct and also via Comfort and AIB) and others would not insure it without a Cat 5 tracker being fitted before collection from the dealer. Which was a problem as had arranged for the alarm / tracker system to be fitted elsewhere.
Anyway after a recommendation from Ash at VanBitz (y) to try NFU they were great and would cover the vehicle as long as it had a Cat 2 immobiliser fitted (which I think is pretty standard for most base vehicle vans now) so all good.
They even transferred my wifes NCD (sold her vehicle 6 months ago) to myself as the policyholder for our campervan and so their price was also the lowest.

Comfort £468 (tracker required day 1 but after some pressure they relented slightly and said had to be fitted the same day as collection - which was not practical)
Caravan Guard £637 (tracker fitting appointment within 14 days of collection and also require a disklok or similar device).
Don’t forget however, that your NFU quote will not include breakdown or recovery, as their insurance only caters for vehicles up to 5 metres in length. So what seems like a cheaper deal isn’t quite as cheap when you have to buy separate breakdown/recovery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
April 2023 .....
Don’t forget however, that your NFU quote will not include breakdown or recovery, as their insurance only caters for vehicles up to 5 metres in length. So what seems like a cheaper deal isn’t quite as cheap when you have to buy separate breakdown/recovery.
Yes was aware of that, however was not a request for our quotes as is included with the vehicle (Mercedes MobiloVan)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Have you got solar fitted or will be fitting it? If so did you declare it? If not it could be a get out for NFU in the event of a claim (not declaring modifications/additions) irrespective of its relevance. That was what tripped me up as I wanted to them myself. Individual brokers may be helpful but they all use the same underwriters. I’ve contacted three branches and all gave me the same answer.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ah, never mind the ‘who fitted the solar panel’, how did you cope with the ‘will you be carrying shotgun cartridges and/or explosives’ question.😂

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
April 2023 .....
Have you got solar fitted or will be fitting it? If so did you declare it? If not it could be a get out for NFU in the event of a claim (not declaring modifications/additions) irrespective of its relevance. That was what tripped me up as I wanted to them myself. Individual brokers may be helpful but they all use the same underwriters. I’ve contacted three branches and all gave me the same answer.
Solar to be installed by VanBitz at same time as alarm system so should be fine.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I am with NFU and have a solar panel fitted by vanbitz told NFU that it is now an extra. That will be £75 please increase in policy! I argued but to no avail they said "underwriters say it is so it is".

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am with NFU and have a solar panel fitted by vanbitz told NFU that it is now an extra. That will be £75 please increase in policy! I argued but to no avail they said "underwriters say it is so it is".
I think there have been some issues with panels flying off and causing 3rd party damage. Obviously a Vanbitz installation will have been done properly but underwriters tend generalise about such things. I recall someone posting on another thread about one insurance company not accepting diy installs, which in some cases is probably safer than questionable “professionals”.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have everything that is insurable insured with NFU, which comes to thousands of pounds in total, but the van has been insured with them from when it was an ambulance and told them what I was doing but never asked for any details and it is now insured with them for £185 as a motorhome with no mention of what is in or on it.

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I have everything that is insurable insured with NFU, which comes to thousands of pounds in total, but the van has been insured with them from when it was an ambulance and told them what I was doing but never asked for any details and it is now insured with them for £185 as a motorhome with no mention of what is in or on it.
I bet you would get more than £185 for it if you had to claim Chaser (y)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

For our new van AIB have said tracker needed but 7 days grace. That’s LV as the insurer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I think there have been some issues with panels flying off and causing 3rd party damage. Obviously a Vanbitz installation will have been done properly but underwriters tend generalise about such things. I recall someone posting on another thread about one insurance company not accepting diy installs, which in some cases is probably safer than questionable “professionals”.
Totally agree but was shocked at them charging so much.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back