newbie from UK (1 Viewer)

B

brenda

Deleted User
Hi guys

I am planning on buying a RV and fulltiming and see how low the prices are in Florida :whatthe: so wonder whether it will be worthwhile to go for a year then import it to Germany where i will be moving soon.

I can't make my mind up as I don't know whether an autumn chick with chronic fatigue on her own can manage it all :eek: that is, going to the US for the rig. It looks straightforward though. Just if it is too much work then I will have to give up the dream of a year in the US (to avoid tax)

To complicate matters a guy in my local paper has a Hymer 670S 1995 24 feet left hand drive which i want, advertised for £18K and it sounds really good, lots of extras like new tires and batteries He has given up due to ill health.

Any thought would be appreciated.

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Hi Brenda and welcome to the forum.

I am sure there will be loads of help following over the next couple of days.

Sounds as if you have a hugely exciting time ahead:RollEyes:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Brenda and welcome to MotorhomeFun ::bigsmile:
I like your self description of "Autumn Chick" :roflmto: It really does say it all......
With regard to your quandary, it is very difficult to advise about which motorhome you should buy as there are so many factors to consider....
Firstly, which layout have you in mind? Everyone has different needs and wants and there really is no such thing as "one size fits all" in motorhomeworld...
Do you intend to predominantly travel on the continent? How practical are you and are you single when traveling? Do you have any experience of motorhomes?
From you initial post, I am assuming that you are a single lady, traveling around Europe, and if this is correct then a Hymer would be a good choice for a multitude of reasons. The major reason being that repairs and servicing of a Hymer in Europe will be pretty straightforward and lots of people know the product.
I would love to say that an ARV would be best for you, but.......... There are lots of things to consider regarding owning an RV, not least actually finding a good one, importing it and getting it converted to use in Europe. Some people on here have vast experience regarding shipping of RVs and converting them, but if you are not technical then you are going to be at the mercy of "experts" which means £££££
Please get back to us with some more information and we can be better prepared to offer advice, in the meantime I hope the info above is food for thought ::bigsmile:

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

brenda

Deleted User
Hey Keith

Thanks for the welcome.

It really does say it all......

Only early Autumn Keith :Cool:

Yes I will travel in Europe going south for winter, alone yes with no experience of motorhoming :whatthe:

Thanks, Hymer sounds a good bet then with easy to obtain parts.

The prices in the US are amazing! Half the price the guy here wants. And then there is the year stay to avoid the tax. I won't have to have a US one altered though? Already left hand drive?

For layout, the most important thing is the bed being down permanently and space for my computer. I don't mind giving up the sofa for that. Not too fussed about the lounge. Then i need a bike rack. Not too sure about the rest. I need to see more.

The prices for Hymers already look pretty good in Germany so it might not be worthwhile to go to the US for one. I don't mind the thought of a year going around Arizona!

The one that is advertised is 7 meters long. I have been reading that it is best to stick to under 6. They cost more to insure and take on ferries. I really don't want to buy one too big.

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Brenda
A few points,1 I Agree that repairs and spare parts will be easier to come by for a Hymer
2 As you will be full timing I am sure you dont want to be spending to many nights on campsites a 6 to 7 mtr will be easier to find wild camping places than a large rv

3 I live here on the south coast of Spain and trying to get my 7 mtr Hymer into some of the small towns and villages can be a problem dont forget that the streets were built with donkeys in mind
4 I would be more inclined to stop and able to help if i saw a Hymer brokedown on the side of the road than an American rv.I am sure you will make the right choice with all the help on this site

Good luck

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hey Keith

Thanks for the welcome.

Only early Autumn Keith :Cool:

Yes I will travel in Europe going south for winter, alone yes with no experience of motorhoming :whatthe:

Thanks, Hymer sounds a good bet then with easy to obtain parts.

The prices in the US are amazing! Half the price the guy here wants. And then there is the year stay to avoid the tax. I won't have to have a US one altered though? Already left hand drive?

For layout, the most important thing is the bed being down permanently and space for my computer. I don't mind giving up the sofa for that. Not too fussed about the lounge. Then i need a bike rack. Not too sure about the rest. I need to see more.

The prices for Hymers already look pretty good in Germany so it might not be worthwhile to go to the US for one. I don't mind the thought of a year going around Arizona!

The one that is advertised is 7 meters long. I have been reading that it is best to stick to under 6. They cost more to insure and take on ferries. I really don't want to buy one too big.

Hi Brenda
Glad to hear it is only early autumn, I have heard that we are in for an Indian Summer :roflmto::roflmto:
Right then, were to start?
I was referring to conversion of an ARV by way of the lighting on the vehicle to make it comply with Euro legislation, and also the provision of 230 volt power supplies, as the Americans are using 110 volts. Some people do a minimum install to provide power throughout the RV, in other words the internal electrics remain largely 110 volts and some do a full install which means that all the sockets are changed and provide 230 volt outlets, whilst keeping the 110 volts for the fridge, air con and microwave etc.
I don't think that Hymers are very prolific in the US. You would do well to buy a used model from a German dealer, there are several that advertise on the web and can help you out with the relevant paperwork, a few speak English too....
Going to the US to buy an RV is a great idea, staying for a year to save the tax will depend upon what exactly you want.... If you are buying a used RV, and you can get some beauties for $50-60,000 you will not save a huge amount, if staying for a year to save the tax is solely the reason for the stay. If buying new, then the savings can be more substantial. Paul (UKRV) did exactly what you are suggesting and he would be the best person to advise you on those aspects as well as others ::bigsmile:
The Hymer you have indicated sounds quite expensive on the face of it, difficult to know for sure as it could be exceptional, but at £18K it would need to be superb.
If I remember correctly the Hymer 670S has a rear corner bed layout, with the bathroom being in the opposite corner. I am not certain that this is a great layout for full timing, making the bed is not too easy in my opinion.... The lounge would virtually disappear if you converted part of it to have a PC station, unless you were able to design something really clever. There is not a huge amount of room in the lounge to begin with (well compared to an RV anyway...), a lot of RVs will have a permanent dinette layout so you could use the table for your PC without losing any space at all...
If the idea of a 7 meter long van appeals, then you will be looking at a very small A Class (very hard to find) or a nice C Class, although to be honest the length is not that important, in my opinion, and whether you have a 24 foot motorhome or a 28 - 30 foot motorhome, the driving of it would not present great problems, and I think the cost of insurance is not going to be an issue, the ferry cost will not be greatly different between the sizes I have listed either, although of course a longer van will cost more to put on a ferry. We have a 30 foot RV and just went across to France for £93 return with SeaFrance to give you some idea.
I still do not know whether to recommend an RV to you for reasons of maintenance etc I feel that you should go to some dealers and try some vans out and then get a feel for what you want and what you feel comfortable with, both in terms of driving and living space and accessibility. If you do not try an RV, you will have missed out on a great experience and that would be a real shame.
Where abouts do you live? It would be helpful to know so that people can advise you on dealers in your area, alternatively you can google American RV or Hymer or Euramobile etc and see what cames back, should be able to see dealers selling them and get an idea from that.
I hope this helps

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

brenda

Deleted User
hogan

Thanks for that advice. I am moving towards a Hymer. Is the south coast of Spain too crowded now for over-wintering do you think?

Keith

Wow thanks again for all of that advice. I have just found out that road tax is very high in Germany so might be considering registering, tax. and ins. the MH in the UK from a sons address. so that will mean I would not be able to buy in Germany.

I am in Durham so not many dealers around. Thanks too for the information about the electrics. A great help.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Brenda
You are more than welcome ::bigsmile:
Durham eh??? Well we have a couple of members who live in the far flung north so maybe they can advise about local(ish) dealers, other than that, it would be well worthwhile attending the Northern Motorhome Show in York (not sure of the dates but it is soon...).
I cannot recommend enough the need to view as many vans of different Types and styles as is possible, we have all done the buying a van and regretting it at our leisure bit ::bigsmile: luckily for us when we did it they were used vans and we made a tidy profit each time, which allowed us to eventually buy our RV ::bigsmile: so it is not a disaster unless you have paid top dealer prices to begin with......
I always think a good exercise is to sit in your living room and try to imagine living in it for an extended period of time, I did this an unfortunately our living room is 33 ft x 13 ft, which is how we ended up with the RV :roflmto:
Any other questions, please feel free to ask ::bigsmile:

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back