New to Italy is this normal (2 Viewers)

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
This is our first trip to Italy been here 4 days now in the tirol before heading further south.
We are parked on a car park that specifically says 24 hour parking for 6€ including auto caravans.
We have been alone all night but there is a paid sosta up the road 25€ a night and it's full
What's going on?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This is our first trip to Italy been here 4 days now in the tirol before heading further south.
We are parked on a car park that specifically says 24 hour parking for 6€ including auto caravans.
We have been alone all night but there is a paid sosta up the road 25€ a night and it's full
What's going on?
We were in Italy for nearly two months back in June and July this year.

I would imagine that your present park up has no facilities for freshwater our loo emptying let alone showers and ehu which the 25€ a night sosta down the road will likely have.
Many may be using the 25€ a night sosta for ehu to run their a/c if the weather is still hot as it was when we were over there.
We occasionally used the sosta's and campsites with facilities for loo emptying and to use the washing machines other than that we were happy with cheap and cheerful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chasnam
Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
We were in Italy for nearly two months back in June and July this year.

I would imagine that your present park up has no facilities for freshwater our loo emptying let alone showers and ehu which the 25€ a night sosta down the road will likely have.
Many may be using the 25€ a night sosta for ehu to run their a/c if the weather is still hot as it was when we were over there.
We occasionally used the sosta's and campsites with facilities for loo emptying and to use the washing machines other than that we were happy with cheap and cheerful.
There is a loo and picnic area that has washing up facilities and a water tap.
It's a pleasant temp no aircon needed.
But I can understand the need for ehu.
Chasnam

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We used an app called Prezzi Benzina to find diesel and lpg at the best prices while in Italy. The prices are usually updated daily and the map locations are accurate.
Its also available on the Apple app store.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
A list of stops would be useful .
Chasnam
We never have a fixed plan for any of our trips, but for Italy, I put together a Google My Map of places that would be of interest for us to visit and see plus likely places to park and overnight at. Added some places to the map as we came across them.

Here's a link to the map I put together.

Last edited:

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
We’re also on our first ever trip into Italy 🇮🇹 and have just left Venice.
We’re sat just above Bologna wondering if to visit or not or carry on to Florence
Recommendations are always good.
and will have a look at some of these postings.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
We’re also on our first ever trip into Italy 🇮🇹 and have just left Venice.
We’re sat just above Bologna wondering if to visit or not or carry on to Florence
Recommendations are always good.
and will have a look at some of these postings.
Bologna is a great city to visit, particularly if you enjoy good food. Haven’t done it in a MH though. It’s got good train links to interesting places like Parma, Modena, Ferrara so should be plenty of convenient options to park up & visit.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We never have a fixed plan for any of our trips, but for Italy, I put together a Google My Map of places that would be of interest for us to visit and see plus likely places to park and overnight at. Added some places to the map as we came across them.

Here's a link to the map I put together.

Any idea how to save a link to your map for future use?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've just had a week at the south of Lake Garda cycling with my son. We covered quite a few miles and towns around the area but didn't see a single UK number plate. Also very few English speaking tourists around, even in the more touristy towns 🤷

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Any idea how to save a link to your map for future use?

Click on the link I posted then go to the 3 dots to the right of "Italy tour 2023" at the top left of the page and then click on the copy option.
Now rename it to a name of your choosing and then save it to your favourites in your web browser, then add any additions to your version of the map, so keeping my version as I left it if that makes sense.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Bologna is a great city to visit, particularly if you enjoy good food. Haven’t done it in a MH though. It’s got good train links to interesting places like Parma, Modena, Ferrara so should be plenty of convenient options to park up & visit.
Thanks we have ear marked somewhere to stop and catch the train in all being well 🤞

Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
We went last year, going back again on Wednesday (unless the ferry is cancelled due to incoming storm) Cinque Terre is fantastic there is a small aire (paid) just above Monterosso Al Mare 44.1550 9.6593 e. Info@parkcamperilpoggio5terre (highly recommended). All 5 towns are fantastic, the food is great and the walking is superb. Then on to Florence we stayed at Huttopia ( booked through pitch up) they have a shuttle bus into town, swimming pool, restaurant, supermarket and a brewery!

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Cinque Terre is a "must not miss". They used to allow overnight on the quay at Monterosso but I think it got stopped because people were abusing it and staying longer than one night. Best way to visit the 5 towns is train from La Spezia and take the train or the boats between the 5 towns.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Cinque Terre is a "must not miss". They used to allow overnight on the quay at Monterosso but I think it got stopped because people were abusing it and staying longer than one night. Best way to visit the 5 towns is train from La Spezia and take the train or the boats between the 5 towns.
And check the tour ship schedules before you visit, can be horrendous on a busy day. Sestri Levante is another good access/stopover point using rail.

Dougall

Deceased RIP
Oct 14, 2022
Kilmarnock, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
1 year
I've just had a week at the south of Lake Garda cycling with my son. We covered quite a few miles and towns around the area but didn't see a single UK number plate. Also very few English speaking tourists around, even in the more touristy towns 🤷

May 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
etrusco
What are your plans while in Italy, I am happy to pass on any details of places we visited and nightstops we use if they are of use to you.
We are travelling to Italy this week. Looking for a nice site around the raphello/portinfino area. Just 1night on route to Siena. Any Recommendations please

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We are travelling to Italy this week. Looking for a nice site around the raphello/portinfino area. Just 1night on route to Siena. Any Recommendations please
Sorry, we skipped over to Venice and the Dolomites after Pisa so missed out on the area around Portofino and Genoa.

Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
There isn’t many uk visitors but we were there tucked away in a lovely site in Maderno 🥵

A8402856-4C6C-44DD-A6A3-13CC9575684D.jpeg IMG_7197.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back