Never 'done' Germany - tips/help please (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Lovely stop overs if your going that way,

This one is good for picking up the train and going in to Lake Titisee 10 min away.
Cracking site on Lake Titisee

Definitely best village in Germany.

And another just down the road

There are so many places in Germany you could spend months driving around😁

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Got myself an emissions sticker from a garage (MOT station?) In Koln and now parked in the Aire by the Rhine.
55 places, €16, not particularly impressed but it will do for tonight. Main thing was getting the emissions sticker so we can go where we fancy now without having to worry.

So tomorrow, we are heading towards the Romantic Road ...... any suggestions for somewhere nice between Koln and Wurzburg?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Got myself an emissions sticker from a garage (MOT station?) In Koln and now parked in the Aire by the Rhine.
55 places, €16, not particularly impressed but it will do for tonight. Main thing was getting the emissions sticker so we can go where we fancy now without having to worry.

So tomorrow, we are heading towards the Romantic Road ...... any suggestions for somewhere nice between Koln and Wurzburg?

Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
New
If you're planning on getting as far as Fussen and visiting the castles at Neuschwanstein book well ahead. You can see availability by looking online at hohenschwangau.de

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

If you’re in the one I think you are, jump on the tram to the centre as the cathedral is worth a visit on its own.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
If you’re in the one I think you are, jump on the tram to the centre as the cathedral is worth a visit on its own.
Thanks, we got our leccy bikes out and rode into the city.looks like the scaffolding is on its way through being removed aswell now (some people mentioned the scaffolding around the cathedral) for anyone else thinking of visiting Koln (Cologne)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Don’t mention that war and no goose stepping says Mr Fawlty 😳

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
Sat on the ferry to Holland and the weather isn't looking great for the next few weeks, so tempted to detour through a bit of Germany, the Champagne region in France and down to the Med.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when travelling through Germany to make sure I'm 'legal' as I've never motorhomed there?.

Thanks

Do have a great trip! We love German food, great value and plates full. And do try the Weißbier - a cloudy wheat beer; don't be put off by it being cloudy, the yeast is good for you!. Germans tend to park up, find a restaurant and book it for the evening then go and sight see as they generally don't cook in their vans. So most good Platz are full by early afternoon. Search for Sites and Camper Contact are both good apps for Stellplatz.

Germany's a great country, really well set up for MoHo's. We've lived in NRW and absolutely loved it. It's a well ordered and well organised place with rules even their leaders follow and none of the chaos we have to suffer! As an example of their culture, on a language course I was on, an (English) student asked the German language teacher "what are the exceptions to that (grammatical) rule?" She replied "It is the rule, of course there are no exceptions"! Which is pretty much how life runs in Germany.

On the roads, some points to note; do stop at "stop" signs (I won a 10€ fine for rolling over one as if it was a give way); don't get caught speeding - they hide speed traps and don't announce them unlike in the UK (variable fine according to how far over the limit you were) and this is a big one in towns - do remember to give way to any pedestrians or cyclists on the pavement at the side of you if you are turning right (or left) off the main road into a side road across their path - they are classed as being on the main road and have priority over you who are crossing their path. Bear in mind cyclists on the cycle path here too. Pedestrians will step out in front of you expecting you to give way! And if you do have an "incident" with a pedestrian or cyclist, you will be assumed to be at fault - unless for example they've failed to comply with the pedestrian controlled traffic lights. Hence why, when on foot, do comply with any pedestrian crossing lights (risk of a fine. It's odd at first, all the pedestrians wait for the green "walk" light). And on the motorway, flashing of the headlights means "I'm coming through", the opposite to the UK's "you come through" - so don't pull out if they're flashing you!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Be well prepared at motorway junctions. When you come off slip roads there are rarely roundabouts, the slip road often just splits in 2. We got stuck around the outskirts of cologne for about 2 hours going round and round in circles. The sat nav will say bear right and then there will be 2 rights, one being more right than the other and then invariably wrong😭😭

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We are on the Aire at Koln. €16 which to me seems a bit pricey when we can get campsites for not much more cost using ACSI. Tonight we have chosen to try a campsite instead of an Aire at €19.

What we did notice yesterday, was that there were about 10 motorhomes and campers (some of the motorhomes were quite high spec and most of the campers were commercially built) parked along and adjacent to the river at various points, they seemed to be parked up for at least one night, no chairs, tables etc but there are benches at pretty regular intervals that looked to being put to good use!

Has anyone wild camped along there? Other than the option of electricity at the Aire, there doesn't seem much difference in the available services.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to be a pain, but can we not let the thread drift please ..... I'm more interested in where to stay at the moment rather than best place to get fuel and hoping for suggestions around Koblenz .....?? Would like to sample a free German Aire if there are any within 50 odd miles? Thanks
Nothing free in germany generally you pay for everything even to empty the toilet so take a bag of €1 & €2 coins.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Its the location in koln right on river to walk or cycle in.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Its the location in koln right on river to walk or cycle in.
I understand that but if others are parking for free alongside the river .....and compared to my experience in France it's overpriced for what you get ..... IMO!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to be a pain, but can we not let the thread drift please ..... I'm more interested in where to stay at the moment rather than best place to get fuel and hoping for suggestions around Koblenz .....?? Would like to sample a free German Aire if there are any within 50 odd miles? Thanks

We stayed here in Koblenz,it’s where the Mosel and Rhine split.
There was also a Stelplatz outside the campsite.
We caught the foot ferry to the city.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back