Need help with missing top of rear brake light housing on Swift Kontiki 645 (1 Viewer)

JayVee22

Free Member
Dec 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
Hello everyone

I recently purchased an older Swift Kontiki 645 based on a Fiat Ducato 2004 chassis. All good so far. However, at the weekend I went up on to the roof to remove some debris and noticed a horrific mess that is (or should be) my rear brake light housing. That is to say, the rear brake light exists (and works) and looks fine from ground level. But from the roof level, the top of the housing is missing. I have tried and failed to find a replacement top and now wonder what in fact should be there, as every link I find just gives me the red plastic cover/light itself, nothing for the top. Can anyone help point me in the right direction please? Photos attached (I know, right?).

Many thanks
Jackie

20231214_153855.jpg 20231214_153859.jpg

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
OP
OP
J

JayVee22

Free Member
Dec 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
I may well have to - but I'm not "handy" on things like that so would prefer to fit something that's designed for the space if possible. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I may well have to - but I'm not "handy" on things like that so would prefer to fit something that's designed for the space if possible. :)
Plasticard is easy to cut with scissors and if you need to curve the rear edge to the stoplight, then warming it with a hairdryer will soften plasticard. (y)

OP
OP
J

JayVee22

Free Member
Dec 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
In that case you will need to buy a complete new light assembly and fit it.
Thanks Lenny HB. That is what I'm struggling to find though. I can find the front light fitting, but not what should be on the top and have no idea what that might look like.

OP
OP
J

JayVee22

Free Member
Dec 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
Plasticard is easy to cut with scissors and if you need to curve the rear edge to the stoplight, then warming it with a hairdryer will soften plasticard. (y)
Thank you. I will keep that in mind as an option if I can't find the right part. :)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
These high level brake lights on Kontikis are notorious for letting the water in so the top cover has to be really well sealed,but needs to be removed to change the brake light so it has probably been broken! It will be a Swift part so I'd be having a word with the people where you had the van from.

OP
OP
J

JayVee22

Free Member
Dec 18, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
These high level brake lights on Kontikis are notorious for letting the water in so the top cover has to be really well sealed,but needs to be removed to change the brake light so it has probably been broken! It will be a Swift part so I'd be having a word with the people where you had the van from.
Thanks Richard. It doesn't appear to be leaking luckily. It was a private sale and of course not noticeable from ground level so I didn't spot that. I'll refer to Swift and see what they say. A picture of what it should look like would help, but I can't even find that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny HB. That is what I'm struggling to find though. I can find the front light fitting, but not what should be on the top and have no idea what that might look like.
You will probably have to order a complete lamp from a Swith dealer don't be surprised if it empties your wallet, Motorhome spares tend to be ridiculous prices.
Worth looking at Hella and Jokon parts as the two of them supply most road lighting for Motorhomes.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Richard. It doesn't appear to be leaking luckily. It was a private sale and of course not noticeable from ground level so I didn't spot that. I'll refer to Swift and see what they say. A picture of what it should look like would help, but I can't even find that.

Have a word with https://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/index.asp?function=SEARCH they buy up old parts stock! or the parts chap at Brownhills is usually helpfull.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back