Mp3 towbar Bracket (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi. Does anyone have any experience of these towing frames for mp3's?
It looks like the nose weight would be too much for a towbar.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220316_080047.jpg
    20220316_080047.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 51
May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
I've not read any good reviews of those. Stability seems to be an issue, leaning weirdly when cornering (which may different on the mp3) plus rear tyre wear on the bike, squaring it off if you do many miles.
Then unless you disconnect the rear drive you are potentially spinning the transmission without the engine pumping oil around.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In 2019 when my son and DIL were planning a 3,000 mile Europe m/h tour taking his MP3 we looked into all options as his wife refuses to ride on his Kawasaki motorbike. They are extraordinarily heavy and the downforce/bouncing/rebound on the vehicle over bumps where the towbar is attached to the vehicle chassis will be very high, even though much of the MP 3's weight is on the rear wheel.
I'd contact the tow frame maker and ask if they have actually test-towed an MP3 many miles. I doubt it.
In the end I built him a trailer.

Trailer 2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Also, probably illegal as the law states that, whatever the weight (even less than 750Kg), any wheel that is fitted with a brake that contacts the road - the brake has to work to correctly. I suggest a trailer fulfills all legal requirements and saves possible damage to the bike.

OP
OP
Bubba
Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yeah they do look a bit iffy. I have a Ducato with extended chassis so the overhang from the back wheels is long.
I have a flat bed trailer which is OK but a bit big I'm considering converting to a side load over the summer. If I ever get the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
He wouldn't repeat the MP3/Trailer arrangement as it was quite a fag to manoeuvre even though he has towed his 23 foot racing dinghy probably 000's of miles. He sold both the bike and trailer upon return. He was baulked in several roads, minor tracks (to monasteries and Viewpoints etc. en route with the m/h and trailer) and parking places, mostly in Spain and Croatia and had to unhitch. Not at all easy on a hill to prevent the whole shebang running away when unhitching it.
He's an athletic lad and even with a shallow ramp angle found it a struggle to load the MP3. You can't load it by using the engine power when standing alongside as the seat has to sense the weight of someone aboard. His wife threatened him with divorce when he attempted to sit on it and ride it up.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I did see an MP3 in France being transported like this:

2016-05-08 France May 2016 003.JPG

2016-05-06 France May 2016 003.JPG

1647426106728.png

If she also refuses to ride on his Kawasaki, this might be the best solution all round :)
Hmm. She's not daft as he has form with attracting 'life incidents' and leaving chaos in his wake. I've been motorcycling for 55 years and wouldn't ride pillion with him.
Thankfully he has perfected the art of entering his Chausson via the bathroom window when (frequently) locking himself out.

Window (2).jpg

Feet (3).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bubba
Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Just seen a sawiko side loading in the classifieds. £2.200 used. Think I will build my own for £50 which is what I bought the flat bed trailer for.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Just seen a sawiko side loading in the classifieds. £2.200 used. Think I will build my own for £50 which is what I bought the flat bed trailer for.
When I built my son's trailer (pics in earlier post) I started by cutting up a cheap 'n nasty rusty m/bike trailer with seized wheel bearings for £25. The alloy floor panels were grilles from a dairy overhead walkway for a fiver at my local metal recycler at mate's rates (I went to school with his son (y)) . The benefit of using bits of a commercial trailer frame was that the draw bar had the maker's compliance VIN plate on it. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
With anything that puts a high load on the tow hitch, you will also struggle to keep within the rear axle maximum weight too

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
I think the sensible option would be to trailer it. The side loaders are great as not only do they take up less room, they also seem to be more resistant to tipping as the weight is more centralised over the axle. Just to clarify towing an auto scooter (I've had 9 autos over the years). They can be towed with no detrimental effect on the transmission. The rear axle gearbox has its own dedicated (oil bath) supply and doesn't need a pump to lubricate. In addition the centrifugal clutch (to drive the wheels) is only engaged when the engine is running. So effectively it's in freewheel mode when being towed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back