Tour Guide Wanted Motorhome Parking - Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
Just on our way home to Gloucestershire after a fortnights road trip around parts of Yorkshire.

First the good news. There are proper large designated Motorhome parking bays in the towns of Skipton and Settle at reasonable cost. I believe you can stay overnight if you wish. We didn’t, as we used CAMC CL sites.

Now the bad bit. We decided to visit Bridlington. We found a large Coach park with 26 spaces. On the day we were there, there was only one coach. However, there were two Motorhomes parked in there, so we assumed that we would be able to park. So, we duly paid the parking fee and headed into town. Now, it did say, Coaches only, and no caravans or trailers, but didn’t mention Motorhomes. When we returned, there were two official types busy putting tickets on the other two Motorhomes. When we asked, they toldd us categorically we shouldn’t park there. Luckily, we were back in time to move. When I checked online about parking in Yorkshire, the Coach park in Bridlington is supposed to be okay for Motorhomes. Something has obviously gone wrong here. So, when I get home, an e-mail will be winging it’s way to Bridlington Town Council for clarification. I can’t honestly believe that in the height of Summer, there will be 26 coaches parked up for Bridlington. It’s not that big.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can’t honestly believe that in the height of Summer, there will be 26 coaches parked up for Bridlington. It’s not that big.
Look at it from their perspective , 26 empty spaces reserved for coaches containing 50 people each who'll want lunch and to spend money
Or
It fills up with motorhomers who walk round the shops then go back to their van and make a cup of tea and a sandwich

We stopped off at skipton last Sunday, the 4 MH spaces were occupied and looked like they had been for a while , we found a space I could still get out of if the car park filled up , when we came back there were at least 10 MH parked in the car park

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The park and ride at Bridlington is right by the beach and is cheap to park with loads of room and specific motorhome area - cannot stay overnight.

There is a height barrier with a phone number if you don't fit (which we don't) - call the number and they come in a few minutes and open it up.

Great dog beach - we go for a day out a few times a year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We’ve had problems in Brid so now much prefer Filey which is close by and has an excellent, council-run motorhome park. We’ll not bother with Brid or Scarborough which seem to be hostile to motorhomers. York too is not over friendly so lucky we live there and don’t need a site there.

OP
OP
MillyMoHo
Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
Look at it from their perspective , 26 empty spaces reserved for coaches containing 50 people each who'll want lunch and to spend money
Or
It fills up with motorhomers who walk round the shops then go back to their van and make a cup of tea and a sandwich

We stopped off at skipton last Sunday, the 4 MH spaces were occupied and looked like they had been for a while , we found a space I could still get out of if the car park filled up , when we came back there were at least 10 MH parked in the car park
Unless of course, they’ve brought a packed lunch with them. We did spend money in the town.

OP
OP
MillyMoHo
Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
The park and ride at Bridlington is right by the beach and is cheap to park with loads of room and specific motorhome area - cannot stay overnight.

There is a height barrier with a phone number if you don't fit (which we don't) - call the number and they come in a few minutes and open it up.

Great dog beach - we go for a day out a few times a year
OK, we were told there was a Park & Ride but there was a barrier too low for Motorhomes. They didn’t mention anything about ringing to get in.

Sep 5, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
American Rv A Class
Just on our way home to Gloucestershire after a fortnights road trip around parts of Yorkshire.

First the good news. There are proper large designated Motorhome parking bays in the towns of Skipton and Settle at reasonable cost. I believe you can stay overnight if you wish. We didn’t, as we used CAMC CL sites.

Now the bad bit. We decided to visit Bridlington. We found a large Coach park with 26 spaces. On the day we were there, there was only one coach. However, there were two Motorhomes parked in there, so we assumed that we would be able to park. So, we duly paid the parking fee and headed into town. Now, it did say, Coaches only, and no caravans or trailers, but didn’t mention Motorhomes. When we returned, there were two official types busy putting tickets on the other two Motorhomes. When we asked, they toldd us categorically we shouldn’t park there. Luckily, we were back in time to move. When I checked online about parking in Yorkshire, the Coach park in Bridlington is supposed to be okay for Motorhomes. Something has obviously gone wrong here. So, when I get home, an e-mail will be winging it’s way to Bridlington Town Council for clarification. I can’t honestly believe that in the height of Summer, there will be 26 coaches parked up for Bridlington. It’s not that big.
We pulled in here last summer around midday no coaches only a few cars, we rang the council helpline number on the ticket machine,after explaining that our rv is 9.5 metres long and the coach park was empty all fell on deaf ears, they said you will get a ticket.

OP
OP
MillyMoHo
Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
We pulled in here last summer around midday no coaches only a few cars, we rang the council helpline number on the ticket machine,after explaining that our rv is 9.5 metres long and the coach park was empty all fell on deaf ears, they said you will get a ticket.
No surprise. I don’t think some areas have caught on the increase in Motorhomes.

OP
OP
MillyMoHo
Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
We’ve had problems in Brid so now much prefer Filey which is close by and has an excellent, council-run motorhome park. We’ll not bother with Brid or Scarborough which seem to be hostile to motorhomers. York too is not over friendly so lucky we live there and don’t need a site there.
Yes, we had no problems parking in either Filey or Scarborough.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Ingwe can you still get right up onto filey brigg or have they put height barriers there?
we were at Filey Brigg Country Park run by the council so am not sure. We did see motorhome parked way up on the Brigg but I’ve got a feeling it is day only parking and no overnighting. I’d really recommend the Country Park, at least on a week-day when we went. Were told it gets really busy on the weekends and during school holidays. Excellent value and very clean shower/toilet block. And nice 5 minute walk into Filey itself.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
The new Britain isn't sandwiches in boxes and luke warm tea from a flask , its subway and Costa :D
I went to The Range in Rochdale Sunday lunch time, the entrance to the car park was all but blocked because of Mc Donald's drive through Sunday Carvery:LOL::LOL:
I think not, but how sad:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back