Moped insurance for over 90 days in Europe (1 Viewer)

Travelling

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2018
Hi
so after over 2 months of waiting our piaggio medley comes tomorrow. I’m now looking at insurance.

Next year we are now looking at doing a couple of trips in the eu (using the French visa) of around 6 months then back to the U.K. for a month or 2 then around another 3 to 4 months.

So far all I can find insurance wise for the scooter is devitts who do 90 day eu trips. Is there anyone I’m missing or can I buy add on insurance abroa, like you can for Morocco.

thanks for any help 😀

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry canna help ..been insured for bikes all my life and every firm I go with has included 90 days in Europe, so it might well be related to NCB or experience
At the moment I am with BikeSure......... this from the notes

What the insurer will cover
Automatic cover
The insurer will extend your insurance cover to apply in the following countries for upto 90 days in any one insurance year. Cover is also included while your vehicle is being transported to or from these countries by rail or by a recognised sea route which takes less than 65 hours.• Any country which has entered into an agreement with the European Commission.• Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino or Vatican City.If you stay in any of these countries for longer than 90 days without our permission, the insurer will reduce your cover to the minimum you need under European Union directives on motor insurance while your vehicle is in any of the countries shown above.Extended coverIf the insurer agrees beforehand, you may extend your insurance to apply to certain other countries covered by the International Green Card System. A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance, operating mainly throughout Europe. It proves that motorists have the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country they are visiting.The insurer does not have to extend cover. If they do agree to extend cover you may have to pay an additional premium, and policy restrictions may apply.If the cover under sections 3 and 4 has been extended to apply abroad, the insurer will also cover any foreign customs duty you have to pay as a direct result of the loss of, or damage to, your vehicle

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
Long shot, but Harley Davidson insurance gave me 365 days cover even though you can’t legally stay that long. HOWEVER they are an agent, and I insured two other bikes not Harleys separately with them that also gave me 365 days cover. Might be worth ringing HD insurance and ask do the cover other makes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi
so after over 2 months of waiting our piaggio medley comes tomorrow. I’m now looking at insurance.

Next year we are now looking at doing a couple of trips in the eu (using the French visa) of around 6 months then back to the U.K. for a month or 2 then around another 3 to 4 months.

So far all I can find insurance wise for the scooter is devitts who do 90 day eu trips. Is there anyone I’m missing or can I buy add on insurance abroa, like you can for Morocco.

thanks for any help 😀
Did you ever get an answer to this? I've just bought a scooter and seen this limitation on the insurance, but it seems that all insurance companies have the same single 90 day restriction. I'm OK with that in the short term with a 90 day tour coming up, but what if we go for winter sun later?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Did you ever get an answer to this? I've just bought a scooter and seen this limitation on the insurance, but it seems that all insurance companies have the same single 90 day restriction. I'm OK with that in the short term with a 90 day tour coming up, but what if we go for winter sun later?
I think, but you may need to clarify with your insurer that after 90 days your insurance reverts to the minimum legal requirement for the country your in. So if you're insured fully comp, after 90 days it will revert to third party only outside the UK.

Oct 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I think, but you may need to clarify with your insurer that after 90 days your insurance reverts to the minimum legal requirement for the country your in. So if you're insured fully comp, after 90 days it will revert to third party only outside the UK.
You're quite right. Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back