Mercedes v Fiat (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2016
Gretna
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741FC
Exp
Since 2015
Looking at two new vans with Fiat 180 Auto and Mercedes 170 auto, has anyone driving both if so which felt smoother better drive.

Have a fiat on conformatic box at present but not tried the new fiat box, price wise is very similar looks like preference to layout as different models Twin beds v Island, feels more room in island bed what’s peoples opinions moving from Island to singles.

Trevor

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Island or singles is a matter of personal preference, we've had both and for convenience as we get older prefer the singles.
Merc of Fiat, try to get an honest idea of cost of ownership, normally suggested that Mercedes are more expensive to own and maintain, they both have their problems both with failures and supply of parts.
Some think the Mercedes badge is worth the hassle.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Can’t speak for the Mercedes, never driven one, although the cockpit area looks better IMO. As for beds it’s all about preference but we have twin singles and would never have an island bed, but that’s us. I do know of two Carthago C Tourer owners that are presently looking for twin singles from their present island bed, but that will be for their own reasons, not because they’re no good. Also there are more island beds for sale than twin singles in the second hand market, don’t know why but the twin beds layout gets snapped up really quick, that could be a sign🤷‍♂️
I think If I could comfortably afford to buy a new one, I think I’d try the merc, just my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Had singles now got an island bed which I prefer

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or have 2 doubles, hubby has the front drop down one and I have the rear transverse one ... Pure bliss! 😄

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I’m NOT the athletic type
Thought that😂😂

Yes some of the beds you need oxygen to get up to and then there isn’t any headroom☹️

We have a bed in ours that goes right across the whole width and is about 2m long so plenty of room😁😁

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Perhaps the criteria should be 'how easy is it to make the bed'. My transverse Compactline is a real wrestling match to get the sheets tucked in neatly.
As ours goes the full width you have to make the top bit first then work your way back to the end, ok once you have done it a few times😁

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps the criteria should be 'how easy is it to make the bed'. My transverse Compactline is a real wrestling match to get the sheets tucked in neatly.
Use fully fitted bottom sheets and make your top sheets half fitted by sewing the bottom corners to make them like the fitted ones, much easier to keep in place then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Big advantage of twin singles is you get a full height garage, island beds compromise the garage unless they are in a big van like a Concorde or Morelo.
As for Fiat or Merc layout is probably more important than the cab, they all have their problems. You hear about more problems with Fiat but not surprising as a there are a lot more motorhomes on Fiat.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Previous motorhome was a Mercedes Hymer and current one is a Fiat Carthago, both auto/comfortmatic. On balance I prefer driving the Fiat BUT the important bit is the Fiat has an Al-Ko rear chassis not a Fiat one. I am pretty sure it is the Al-Ko chassis that makes a difference and that is something that not all manufacturers use.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Yes some of the beds you need oxygen to get up to and then there isn’t any headroom☹️
Why do you need headroom? Don't you lay down in bed like the rest of us?😂😂😂😂

Advantage of higher beds is big garage to store bikes (and other essential man cave stuff) but they are harder to make up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why do you need headroom? Don't you lay down in bed like the rest of us?😂😂😂😂
There are some things you just shouldn't ask about... Perhaps he doesn't like putting dints in the ceiling! :blusher:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
i ha e had three Mercedes motorhome and our current old Fiat.

The Mercedes are much better to drive in RWD form. Though the chassis can be quite narrow track. This makes them feel a bit sloppy and can be unnerving.

I also used to buy and run small fleets of Mercedes vans and light trucks.

Great when they are running, but a real PIA when they are not. Mercedes dealers are the worst I have ever had to deal with.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I've had fiat tag axel FWD and Mercedes RWD.
I much prefer the Mercedes - real auto box rather than comformatic, more powerful, and RWD a boon especially as I ski from MH.
Tag more planted and secure, merc bit wobbly until semi air fitted.
FWD tag axel can struggle on wet hill starts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back