Tour Guide Wanted Italy - the lakes ? -Tour Guide, Pointers. (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Hi, We intend to go to the Italian Lakes in our 7.5 m Motorhome (3.65 T uprated to 4.0 T) (with ebikes) for 3 weeks departing the last week in May. Its our first big trip and could do with some pointers.

We have read about 3 main popular routes on Motorhome fun and don’t know the pros and cons of each but favour route B unless we are missing something?

A. Harwich - Hook of Holland, A12, down through Germany on route 3 via Cologne, Bad Camberg, Munich, Brenner tunnel, and on to the Lakes,

B. Dover- Calais, Reims Strasbourg, Basel, straight down through Switzerland Towards Como when we can take our pick of the Lakes – Maggiore, Luguno, and Como, and or onward to Lake Iseo and Lake Garda if recommended.

C. Dover - Calais, Reims all the way round Geneva Mont Blanc tunnel and on to the lakes.

On our first 2 week trip down the West coast of France last September we found the Aires were great and practical. We used several toll roads and paid by credit card at the Booths with no problem. We have since read about Toll accounts such as Emovis and Fulli, What is the advantage of these apart from not having to stop at toll booths? Also what is a vignette, and do we need one?, Go Box ? Any wriggle room on motorhome weights and tolls?

We like small towns and villages en route but realise we only have 3 weeks for the trip.

We would also appreciate advice/recommendations on stop overs en route and approx 3 day park ups when we get to the Lakes – which Lake? Which sites? so we can chill out and go biking etc. Also we don’t mind paying for nice sites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
When you go around the lakes we always go anti clockwise so we are on the side nearest the water as there. Are some overhangingrocks to be avoided if going the other way around

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
We stayed at camping primavera just before brenzone,bus stop outside, access to the lake via tunnel under the road,small family run site, clean facilities fresh bread daily, coffee and drinks served from the small bar.restaurants and couple of bars and a supermarket in the village less than 10 minutes slow walk away.very friendly staff bit tight with 7.75 m mh to get on a higher pitch with lake view.

40E941B7-429C-4D67-B49B-247E7F3EFBFC.jpeg

7A0F506D-3E25-402C-AE7C-5DA994D9B023.jpeg

3CD07E95-0A39-4AAD-A636-B3FF930BB783.jpeg

1F861508-6E17-459B-AE18-4DBAB3AF070F.jpeg

7FB99D8B-367E-49F8-A59A-4096E9D48CD6.jpeg

70EBF89A-6CAD-4FC4-8861-80FFA31688C8.jpeg

FC7236E0-09DB-479B-9777-0793036DB1AB.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We used several toll roads and paid by credit card at the Booths with no problem. We have since read about Toll accounts such as Emovis and Fulli, What is the advantage of these apart from not having to stop at toll booths? Also what is a vignette, and do we need one?, Go Box ? Any wriggle room on motorhome weights and tolls?

There is no advantage on tolls other than not having to stop and use a bank card. Personally it doesn't bother me as we don't use tolls too much, also I assume you have to pay for the tag?

Vignettes in Switzerland and essentially is a year pass for using the motorways. Quite expensive if you are just passing through. I try to bypass these countries or keep off the toll roads in them.

You have no option to pay for the correct weight for vignettes as they are based on your V5 info. Switzerland vignette under 3.5 ton is £40. Switzerland over 3.5 you have to have a heavy version tax of some kind. Unsure how much this is. You can buy these at the border. Austria is a little more flexible as they do a 10 day one and a 2 month one. However, over 3.5 ton you have to but a Go Box and I think that charges by the mile. No idea how much per mile or how much the box is. As you see - it's complicated so that's why I prefer to go round or keep off the toll roads.

As far as weight goes on other country tolls it doesn't matter as it is measured on height not weight. The toll booths do not weigh you. Personally I prefer to not use tolls for financial reasons but also as I find them boring. However, I don't have time restrictions and enjoy exploring on route. If you are time restricted it makes more sense.

Re routes. I go route B as Dover Calais is best for me and Mont Blanc tunnel is expensive.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Switzerland over 3.5 you have to have a heavy version tax of some kind. Unsure how much this is. You can buy these at the border.
Over 3.5t just download the Via app and you can buy a pass on the day, I normally go for the 10 day pass and I think it works out less than £3 a day.
The Swiss have this so organised I wish others would do the same.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I recommend Switzerland, it has some stunning scenery. If you start at post #231 on this thread it covers in reverse a visit to Lake Iseo and then crossing over into Switzerland.

I am not particularly attracted to the larger Italian lakes but Iseo was very pleasant.

We use a tag and find it very convenient. Sometimes there are queues at the pay booths but if there is a tag only lane it is often empty and there are also lanes you can take without having to stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

some ideas ..... its nice to have good info for backups etc, but its also nice to just travel until you want to stop ..... weve only been to Germany once in the moho, but thought it was great (you will need an emissions sticker, easy enough to get from lots of garages, took me ten minutes) and would def go back and spend more time touring. Austria was expensive, so would just plan to travel through, unless you have a need to stop there .... we are planning a return trip to Italy in June this year and are definitely going back to Baia Verde campsite at Lake Garda - it suited us perfectly

OP
OP
E
Aug 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Thanks for all the replies - motorhome fun is a great site and im not computer literate so i have a little trouble navigating my way around it - sorry if i havnt responded to posts in the appropriate way. I guess all we have to do is get the emissions sticker at a French petrol station, and download the Via app for Switzerland and buy the pass when we get to the border as Coastal Cruiser advised. Do we have to have a Fulli tag as well for italy?

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back