Italy. East coast recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Heading to Italy this September. We've done the west coast but would like to try the opposite side down the Adriatic coast. We intend to go right down to the heel. Would like to hear any advice and recommendations for Sosta's, campsites and not to be missed places.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Lido de jesolo, is our favourite place, easy to get to Venice on the bus, we use a campsite called something like del doggi, could find the link if you are interested.
We are also going that way in September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Heading to Italy this September. We've done the west coast but would like to try the opposite side down the Adriatic coast. We intend to go right down to the heel. Would like to hear any advice and recommendations for Sosta's, campsites and not to be missed places.
Here you go.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
We went to Rimini in August a few years ago.
I have never seen as many people on a beach, it was like a colony of ants for miles. Honestly only had enough space to put a hand towel down to sit on.
Never again.
Might be different in September.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Any idea what route you will take ,I am looking at this, no tolls.

Screenshot_20220801-111705.png

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Lido de jesolo, is our favourite place, easy to get to Venice on the bus, we use a campsite called something like del doggi, could find the link if you are interested.
We are also going that way in September.
Don't forget your Oatcakes (y)

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

View attachment 647898

Thats more or less the route we take to Italy. First stop the aire at Peruwelz in Belgium, will probably stop for an overnight in Luxembourg. Then a few days in the Mosel. Drive through Germany making a few more stops then heading to the Fussen area then I think its the Fern Pass to Innsbruck in Austria. Over the Brenner Pass and down to Lake Garda and Lake Iseo.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

View attachment 647898

In a similar vein I’m looking at a toll free route down to Bari on the east coast but starting from Dieppe. We have no time constraints so maybe heading south of Paris down to the Grenoble area and crossing into Italy from there. Anyone gone that way and can comment?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In a similar vein I’m looking at a toll free route down to Bari on the east coast but starting from Dieppe. We have no time constraints so maybe heading south of Paris down to the Grenoble area and crossing into Italy from there. Anyone gone that way and can comment?
What we useually do is head for Monaco and go in that way to venimiglia we also know a nice campsite there.
We have also used the montblanc tunnel but it's very expensive.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Thanks. Wasn’t looking to go that far south and the riviera into Italy doesn’t really appeal - throwback to hot summer jams in the tunnels around Ventimiglia. As I said we’ll have plenty of time, so the Western Alps via Grenoble and Briancon looks interesting if doable without too much hassle.

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Thanks. Wasn’t looking to go that far south and the riviera into Italy doesn’t really appeal - throwback to hot summer jams in the tunnels around Ventimiglia. As I said we’ll have plenty of time, so the Western Alps via Grenoble and Briancon looks interesting if doable without too much hassle.
You shouldn't have any trouble with either the Col de Lauteret or Col de Montgenevre. We been over both many times, most often in the winter for skiing and they can be a little challenging in blizzard conditions but no trouble in the summer (other than brakes overheating if you don't stay in a low enough gear when descending). Our last run over was August 2020 when we were lucky enough to escape across the channel just two days before Boris imposed his "stay in the UK" restriction.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
well, i'm doing Ironman Italy on the 17th Sept down in Cervia, stopping at camping adriatic,,,, feel free to come along and cheer me on

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We are leaving for the Adriatic coast shortly and will travel from the Hook of Holland (you can also enter Germany from France/Belgium at this point} then down the excellent Autobahns of Germany. You then have choice of two passes one through Fussen to the Fern Pass as mentioned or the Garmisch to Mittenweld, Seefeld and Innsbruck. You are in the Tyrol now with spectacular views. The choice is your then, you can go via the old Brenner pass or opt for the faster Autostrada, but still taking in the super scenic Dolomites as far as Modena. The Autostrada road goes then to Bologna and if on the A14 (this is the Autostada ,there are tolls but not too expensive) by passing Rimini Catalonica etc. The beauty in this region lies in the hills a few Kms west with the castled hilltop towns, and beautiful villages. There is the Unesco site of Urbino to the west and the national park of St Bartollo on the coast starting at Gabbicce Mare to Pesaro. Take the coast road to Farno if you have time call into the western regions of The Furlo Gorge and the Frassassi Caves. My last stopping point, this is mentioned because this is our limit of our East Coast travels is the beautiful Conero Penisula. Enjoy your trip, we have had more holidays on the East Coast than the West. Away from the big seaside towns around Rimini etc is the very nice Marche region of Italy with its inland towns and the mountainous Appenines it is so quite in September. I envy you going all the way down to the bottom of Italy I am sure you will have great time.

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We are leaving for the Adriatic coast shortly and will travel from the Hook of Holland (you can also enter Germany from France/Belgium at this point} then down the excellent Autobahns of Germany. You then have choice of two passes one through Fussen to the Fern Pass as mentioned or the Garmisch to Mittenweld, Seefeld and Innsbruck. You are in the Tyrol now with spectacular views. The choice is your then, you can go via the old Brenner pass or opt for the faster Autostrada, but still taking in the super scenic Dolomites as far as Modena. The Autostrada road goes then to Bologna and if on the A14 (this is the Autostada ,there are tolls but not too expensive) by passing Rimini Catalonica etc. The beauty in this region lies in the hills a few Kms west with the castled hilltop towns, and beautiful villages. There is the Unesco site of Urbino to the west and the national park of St Bartollo on the coast starting at Gabbicce Mare to Pesaro. Take the coast road to Farno if you have time call into the western regions of The Furlo Gorge and the Frassassi Caves. My last stopping point, this is mentioned because this is our limit of our East Coast travels is the beautiful Conero Penisula. Enjoy your trip, we have had more holidays on the East Coast than the West. Away from the big seaside towns around Rimini etc is the very nice Marche region of Italy with its inland towns and the mountainous Appenines it is so quite in September. I envy you going all the way down to the bottom of Italy I am sure you will have great time.
Great advice . Many thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We went to Rimini in August a few years ago.
I have never seen as many people on a beach, it was like a colony of ants for miles. Honestly only had enough space to put a hand towel down to sit on.
Never again.
Might be different in September.
Been in September, went for the Motor GP, cycled down to the beach it was deserted we were the only ones there.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Bit of a thread bump as thinking of heading right down the East coast to Lecce area.
Any new recommendations for places to visit and stay appreciated. Such old picturesque towns, nature reserves, dramatic coastlines.

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
The old fishing machines on the Gargano promontory.

1677271063779.jpeg

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Been in September, went for the Motor GP, cycled down to the beach it was deserted we were the only ones there.
Had planned on going with my son to see Rossi at Mugello. On the bikes of course though.
Unfortunately, he has now retired. So will never get the chance to see the doctor at his home circuit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had planned on going with my son to see Rossi at Mugello. On the bikes of course though.
Unfortunately, he has now retired. So will never get the chance to see the doctor at his home circuit.
It was awesome my wife got knocked flying twice by excited Italians, once when Vale overtook Lorenzo and again when Lorenzo crashed out.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
It was awesome my wife got knocked flying twice by excited Italians, once when Vale overtook Lorenzo and again when Lorenzo crashed out.
You lucky so and so. The atmosphere must have been electric.
An experience you’ll no doubt never forget and some race too 👍👍

There will never be another Rossi. Not only a brilliant rider and tactician but such an enigmatic personality too

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You lucky so and so. The atmosphere must have been electric.
An experience you’ll no doubt never forget and some race too 👍👍

There will never be another Rossi. Not only a brilliant rider and tactician but such an enigmatic personality too
Got the tee shirt, most expensive tee shirt I've ever bought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back