Is this normal? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Hi all,

I installed a 100w solar panel on the roof of my 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne 696. It’s wired into a VictronConnect 75/10 mppt controller via a switch so that I can divert the solar power to charge a Jackery explorer 240.

Today is the first time the solar panel set up has seen the light of day. I’ve got the Victron connect app. But I’m not sure it is right? See the screen shot

However, I plugged the Jackery unit in and diverted the switch and it charged it from 69% to full in about 90 minutes. So, I know there’s current there. It just doesn’t seem to be showing when I diverted the switch back to the Victron. or am I reading it wrong?

once again, any help from the solar geniuses out there would be much appreciated.

9126B053-9F04-4317-B666-D2017BCA097B.png

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
What I am driving at is there doesn’t seem to be any current? Yet, there clearly is because I was able to charge my Jackery power pack?

Also, nothing is being recorded in the history section of the app.

Anyone shed any light please?

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Is charging enabled on your settings page in the victron solar app?
Yes and I am getting a green light for ‘float’ but still no reading for current

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
My batteries are not currently overseen by an app but my votronic mppt stops charging when battery is full when cycle complete. What about putting lots of lights on etc for an hour then check batteries with a multi metre to determine if their take any current.??

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
My batteries are not currently overseen by an app but my votronic mppt stops charging when battery is full when cycle complete. What about putting lots of lights on etc for an hour then check batteries with a multi metre to determine if their take any current.??
Yes, we are currently on EHU so, it could be that the leisure battery is being charged up by the Sargent unit. So, of course this might be quite normal. I’m completely new to solar so, I’m not 100% sure if what I should be seeing.

I think we might need to do as you suggest and run the leisure down and see if it gets charged up again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, we are currently on EHU so, it could be that the leisure battery is being charged up by the Sargent unit. So, of course this might be quite normal. I’m completely new to solar so, I’m not 100% sure if what I should be seeing.

I think we might need to do as you suggest and run the leisure down and see if it gets charged up again.
You will only see charge amps if there is anywhere for the amps to go and with a full battery on EHU charger there will be nowhere for the amps to go.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
You will only see charge amps if there is anywhere for the amps to go and with a full battery on EHU charger there will be nowhere for the amps to go.
Makes total sense. But, every screen shot I seem to see shows current. I guess people are not on EHU and therefore, they are charging their leisure.

Therefore, what I am seeing is normal.

Thanks sll.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
If you have a switch that changes between hab and van battery put that on van and you may see a difference or just unplug EHU for a while.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
As above, disconnect EHU and turn something on. As the only power source the solar will then send replacement power to the batteries and show on your screen.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you have a switch that changes between hab and van battery put that on van and you may see a difference or just unplug EHU for a while.
I don’t have a switch unfortunately. I have installed the solar to go to the lersure battery via the mppt. I have fitted a battery master to symphony charge off the leisure to the van battery.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ok, unplugged EHU and turned on some lights etc. VictronConnect reports current to leisure battery! It works.

But now I’ve discovered that the fridge doesn’t work on 12v and won’t fire up on gas!

if it isn’t one thing……

thanks for all of your help.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
The fridge should only work on 12v when the engine is running
I’m reading that just now. So, it should still work on gas though. There’s a few things I can try to get it going.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It would be worth posting a screenshot of the Victron Connect screen when unplugged from EHU. The critical thing is to see if current is being generated by the solar panels.

What model is the 'fridge? It may have two 12 volt feeds. One which is only live when the engine is running and another which is permanently on 12 volts.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
It would be worth posting a screenshot of the Victron Connect screen when unplugged from EHU. The critical thing is to see if current is being generated by the solar panels.

What model is the 'fridge? It may have two 12 volt feeds. One which is only live when the engine is running and another which is permanently on 12 volts.
It’s a dometic 3 way fridge

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp

I shouldve taken a screen shot. The solar panel was definitely generating a charge as the watts at the top was not zero (can’t remember what it was though!)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
You can't measure your battery voltage whilst on EHU..... Just in case you didn't know.

You need to turn everything off and wait 30 minutes. That gives a truer battery voltage

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Has it worked on gas previously?
No. We’ve always been to campsites with electric hook up so, never tested the gas or the 12v!

seen a video where the guy tapes a box round the back of the fridge and that gets the gas flowing. So, I will try that (carefully of course)

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
You can't measure your battery voltage whilst on EHU..... Just in case you didn't know.

You need to turn everything off and wait 30 minutes. That gives a truer battery voltage
Thanks for the tip. I’ll measure the batteries once we get home

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
The fridge does indeed work on 12v with the engine running.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Did you also get it working on gas?
I’m going to have the vent off the back tomorrow and see what’s what. Hopefully it’s just a bit of dirt. I can hear the igniter going.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Did you also get it working on gas?
Hammer drill on the gas valve assembley.....it's working now!
I'd given the gas valve assembley a few taps but, a Youtube video where the guy used a hammer drill to vibrate life into the sticking gas valve worked a treat! Kudos to the youtube guy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back