Mar 5, 2022
Hindford, Oswestry, Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 2.3 F & D
Exp
Since 2021
Hi All

Just booked myself a trip to Texel in late May 2024 on the Harwich - Hook of Holland ferry. Very reasonable price I thought at £212 return for my just under 20 feet long Foster & Day Mercedes 2.3d.

However, my question is....are they tolerant on the island of 'wild campers' like me?::bigsmile:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
A lovely island, have been a few times quite a few campsites, we stayed at one adjacent to the hotel by the airfield Hotel Texel,
De Koog is worth a visit many places to eat and a great place to cycle around,
we didn’t wild camp but plenty of places that shouldn’t be a problem,

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Stealth camping is forbidden in all of the Netherlands.

It's Europes most crowded country and every inch of it belongs to someone.

I suspect it is also has Europes highest provision of campsites per head of population, they are everywhere.
Many Dutch people are regular campers, (far higher proportion than say the UK), so whilst you may get away with it for a night or so, it's not a plan for a holiday.

Texel is a wonderful island, it has something like 70 camp sites on the island!
You will need to get a booking for a site as well, as during busy periods they will not permit you on the Texel ferry without a confirmed space.

We found this out the hard way August 2022, without a confirmed space (every pitch on every site was fully booked) we could not go across on the ferry except as a day trip.

Be aware the Germans and the Dutch book months ahead.
For July/August most sites will be fully booked before the end of January

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
We go annually with a 9 metre tag axle and stay at the campsite behind boutique hotel texel same family ownership you can collect fresh bread in the morning and luxury dinning at night , it's a lovely island you only pay to go on the ferry your return is no charge we go in July for the stockcars but have never wild camped even at the track.

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Have it on my "one day" list. Have been a couple of times, once in the car and once on the bikes with my trailer on the XJ900. Both times with my ex's nephews.

Lovely flat island! Plenty of wind to see the kites we bought locally run off the end of the reel and head towards the east....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back