Is Sikaflex 522 the right product? (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Since 2016
We are repairing our water damaged garage on 2011 Auto Trail Scout. We have the garage door frame out and the plastic lower side wall that supports the door. This plastic side wall will be screwed and sealed to the new wood. The sealant that was on it was different than what was around the garage door. Can anyone advise what product we use to seal this. Is sika 522 suitable?

IMG20230903174809.jpg IMG20230825152123.jpg

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I think 522 is a very good product. Normally I buy it online as can be difficult to find in shops. I also use Puraflex P40, cheaper but can take on a slight pink colour when exposed to UV light but OK if not visible. Available in white or black.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Apparently the trick with Sika is not to over tighten the screws/bolts or whatever when first remounting the frame - just do enough to start the Sika squelching out and then leave for a few hours before tightening fully. You should get a much more reliable seal this way - tightening right up when the Sika is still pretty wet runs a risk of squeezing the sealant out and leaving only a very thin layer. At least, that's what I was told by a boat builder . . . . .

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apparently the trick with Sika is not to over tighten the screws/bolts or whatever when first remounting the frame - just do enough to start the Sika squelching out and then leave for a few hours before tightening fully. You should get a much more reliable seal this way - tightening right up when the Sika is still pretty wet runs a risk of squeezing the sealant out and leaving only a very thin layer. At least, that's what I was told by a boat builder . . . . .
good advice..

another tip , same vein
use a s/s washer on the screw between the faces of the board and frame , this also prevents the Sika being totally squeezed out and leaves an even layer of Sika

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back