'iPhone, BlackBerry, Gmail users - you're all screwed' (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Whistle blown on mass surveillance industry

Surveillance companies can use your iPhone to take photos of you and your surroundings without your knowledge, said a representative from the Bureau of Investigative Journalism at a panel chaired by Julian Assange™ today.

Companies also sell products that will let them change the messages you write, track your location and nick your email contacts, claimed speakers on the panel that included representatives from Privacy International and the aforementioned bureau.

The privacy campaigners, speaking in London, pulled out some of the most sensational revelations in the 287 documents about the international surveillance industry published today by WikiLeaks (but you read it here first). The documents cover a total of 160 companies in 25 countries.

"Who here has an iPhone, who has a BlackBerry, who uses Gmail?" Assange asked. "Well you're all screwed," he continued, "the reality is that intelligence operations are selling right now mass surveillance systems for all those products".

More On This Story

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They're a bit behind the times aren't they? Virus/phishing software has been around for mobile operating systems for years and Bluesnarfing was being warned about around 8 years ago.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
They can listen to me anytime they like.....maybe I could ask for the recordings as evidence of the abuse I take from SWMBO :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Who'd listen to that idiot (Assange) He is a self publicising muppet (polite version)

I can only speak for the Blackberry. Use one of these, don't load any apps on it and its as secure as it can get.

CarrierIQ is the latest scare. Blackberry have definitively denied any dealings with this company. But apple have confirmed they use the software....

Android has security permissions problems at the moment.

Nokia are moving to Windows and we all know how secure that is....

Blackberrys are encrypted end to end hence the middle east countries threat to ban them. There is the obvious downside that when part of RIM's network fails it causes major outages.

But even blackberry is not totally safe if you install dodgy software.... But the software permissions system is much clearer than the android one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back