Inverter (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi, how long is the max cable run from leisure battery to the inverter? My inverter was only supplied with very very short connecting cables. Thanks for any advice. BUSBY.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
How big is the Inverter ??
Usually you try and keep them as short as possible to the battery and you have to be careful that you use the correct thickness of cable. To thin and to much power = "fire".....
In my old van I kept the inverter by the battery and ran a 4 way mains extension cable to where I needed it..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you need / want to extend the cables you need to consider

1. Max Current ,

= Watts / voltage .. for example a 1,000 watt inverter = 1000/12 so it will pull about 84 Amps

2. Cable run length..

when you have this info. use this calculator to determine the optimum size of cable..

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

you should also fit a suitable sized fuse at the battery end of the positive cable..

if unsure, post the size of the inverter and the cable run length

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Its most important to keep the cable length between the battery and inverter as short as possible. Using the supplied cables is a good idea. The mains cable between the inverter and the item being powered can be as long as you like, as it will only be carrying 1/20th of the current.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back