Home solar, opinions please (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Thanks for that but I’ve checked and that calculator doesn’t give sufficient information about when it expects the solar to be generated, which made a real difference to how the savings were calculated when I unpicked some of the spreadsheets. Fundamentally, the rate per kw/h they’ve used is 87% higher than I’m paying today which has obviously inflated the potential savings.
Just doesn’t work for me and I would recommend anyone to look into the detail before assuming it is cost-effective.
Just an update it’s about 11pm just checked the batteries and they are 76% full so they have dropped about 21% since 18:00. Now the house is quiet and the batteries will be topped up at cheap rate. Compare this around December the batteries would be 65-75% drained so you can see the difference it makes.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
All very interesting.
When we first looked at this we were told that we couldn't get enough panels on our roof to make it worthwhile.
There is also, I assume, the assumption that you will be in your current home long enough to get some return on your capital investment.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
All very interesting.
When we first looked at this we were told that we couldn't get enough panels on our roof to make it worthwhile.
There is also, I assume, the assumption that you will be in your current home long enough to get some return on your capital investment.
Regarding how long I will live here, I’m not planning to move at the moment and if I do just think how attractive free energy will be to a prospective buyer along with a nicely maintained home….Reckon it will make top asking price. The house next door has ridge tiles missing ( I got a roofer to give them a price to fix it as my ridge tiles were re- cemented and they didn’t want to pay £300 to have it sorted) inside it’s half wrecked the garden un loved, that house will go for 10,s of k less as someone is going to have to invest.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
So looks like 2026-7 price floor will be around 6-7p for Solar based on an unexpected auction for the (capacity) market yesterday

^ is the price they'll pay gas generation for non-standby emergency, ie, this is baseload, capacity market for 4 hour notice, we require you to produce power, you get 6-7p.

Looking at the graph you'll see it may be a VERY good thing to have Solar/Wind given the graphing compared with 2020-2023 numbers, and T-1 is where the action happens usually.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Does this mean electricity prices are going up again? Sorry, I didn’t understand your graph!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Lookup 'gary does solar' on YouTube.
Everything U could wish to know and more.
I found his videos the day after my install :)

Might have done some things differently had I found them before, but hey ho.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Looks like commercial pricing not consumer price

You really need to understand the electricity market more. Commercial price IS the consumer price, just there is a multiplier applied.
Based on this I'd wager min prices of £0.18 given theres usually a 2-3x multiple in 2028. This auction is the KEY generation capacity market, ie, what is used for when wind doesn't blow and limited sun, so is the baseline cost, T-4 hours for dispatch -> grid says we need X of your gas generation at 7pm you are required to do it for this price if told about it by 4pm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Does this mean electricity prices are going up again? Sorry, I didn’t understand your graph!
Yes, baseline prices are up from 4p a unit to about 6-7p a unit in 2028.

Commercial entities pay this price, including the people you buy power from (anyone buying over 10MW fits into large enough to buy this way). There are additional costs on top of moving power from genertaiton to you, but this is the "base" cost of power notified ~ 4 hours ahead to generations. This is the main "capacity" market auction impacting ALL UK domestic supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back