Henley regatta (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hi we have just had a good weekend at Henley
Has anybody been when the regatta is in ?
Is it a good experience or just super busy and mobbed ?
seems to book up very early at the campsites

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Super busy bit an experience

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Went many years ago, 35 or more. Camped and got robbed... kinda spoilt it. Dont think theres much public access to riverside if any these days without serious payment involved. All corporate hospitality even then oh and absolutely mobbed

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We met a lovely couple in Spain who run a boat business and pop up campsite between Henley and Marlow.
Recent FB post
We have availability for the next Bank Holiday. We are next to the river Thames between Henley on Thames & Marlow. We have water and elsan point but no EHU or hardstanding. Sorry, no tents. You can paddleboard and kayak and dogs are most welcome. There are pubs within walking distance and buses on the main road to Marlow or Henley. We are £15 per night. Enquiries or to book contact us at bookingatsrbriverside@gmail.com

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Was there in the company of one of the Club directors a number of years back.
Great guy but as for the rest of the Farquhars, eh no?
Their pinkies were stuck so far out they were scratching the back of the same hand!
We eventually escaped, a bit like Colditz, to get a decent drink with the prols like us. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Went to Henley last year and stayed at Swiss Farm, cracking site and facilities and an easy walk into Henley but apart from a nice walk along the Thames I was not overly impressed with the town.
Nice for a few days though😁

OP
OP
Dave7
Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Went to Henley last year and stayed at Swiss Farm, cracking site and facilities and an easy walk into Henley but apart from a nice walk along the Thames I was not overly impressed with the town.
Nice for a few days though😁
Yeah we just came back from there
We loved the site
Not sure the regatta is a good idea 🤣

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
We have cruised up through the regatta many times over the years. You will find the place full of modern day Yuppies and restricted Corporate hospitality tents commandeering vast stretches of the riverbank with everybody sitting with their backs to the river. They are no problem but just flood the town and you don't see Henley as it is.
If you want to see Henley and it's glorious stretch of the Thames at it's best, avoid Regatta week.
The Trad Boat Rally is great and would be a far more characterful and interesting option plus the town is not full of the afore mentioned above! Also entrance to it is just across the road from the two main campsites.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have only been once.

I avoided the crowds by being flown in a client's helicopter then walked a few yards to a corporate hospitality tent, like posters are complaining about. Champagme, lunch, watched a few races and flew out again.

The pilot had some years before been hijacked to use the helicopter for the first prison break by air.

One of my stories to dine-out on. :LOL:

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I did a gig in a marquee on the opposite bank to the regatta once and enjoyed watching some of the races, I used to row at Staines Boat Club and recognised a few of the other members attending but a bit difficult to say hello from the otherside :giggle:

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I was at school there and used to serve champagne in the Leander club - great gig for 3 weeks.
I usually go each year - but for the preamble not the main deal.
I enjoy watching the international teams train and the atmosphere.
The regatta itself is a bun fest with packed tow paths, lots of Hen-lash drunken yoofs and corporate tents.

Shame, I used to be able to picnic on the tow path.

They run an interesting vintage boat display on opposite bank - yo don't need to pay as its a public footpath.

Will be there last w/ejune first July.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
School sports was rowing, so when I went up to uni and the captain of sports asked if I'd rowed before, I said "I've skulled at Henley".
He put me straight in the first eight until I corrected him.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
School sports was rowing, so when I went up to uni and the captain of sports asked if I'd rowed before, I said "I've skulled at Henley".
He put me straight in the first eight until I corrected him.
Did he mishear you?:unsure:

I got out my skull at Henley?:whistle2:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The Henley music festival the week after the regatta is fantastic…
We have seen Elton John, Bryan Ferry and Lionel Richie over the years… it has performaning artists, art galleries, fireworks, great food and disco tents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back