Headlight cleaning (2 Viewers)

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi all,
My 2007 Ducato based Autotrail has had yellowing headlights since we bought it in 2018. Around about 2021 I bought a cleaning kit but never had the nerve to try it out. Sanding down your headlights seemed a bit risky.

However, I finally bit the bullet yesterday and went for it. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised. After removing the headlights, I got to work with a cordless drill and the kit. Each headlight took half an hour or so and the difference is amazing.

Considering that new headlights cost around £170 each, this kit was worth the money at £27.

It was a 3M kit which appears to be £16.78 on amazon at the moment.
Deal of the day: 3M 39073 Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0078IHJ1K/?tag=mhf04-21

There's enough sanding disks and compound to do both headlights and if you follow the instructions, you can't go wrong.

_20230529_094946.JPG

_20230529_095825.JPG

I pinched some sealing wipes from a Turtle Wax kit I had bought and applied that after the sanding process was complete. I think 3M do their own but I used what I had available.

So if you've got a spare couple of hours and yellowing plastic headlight lenses, give it a go.

I followed these instructions (from https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.u...earside-headlight-assembly-ducato-x250/37016/ ) to remove the headlights :

First you need to remove the top plastic panel above the light. There are 2 screws to remove and it will prise out easily as long as the screws come out ok.

The lower plastic trim has another screw in it and then its just a matter of gently pulling it towards you at the end nearest to the grille first and if you can place a drift (piece of plastic) between the bottom of the headlight and behind the trim to ease it out sideways it may come out without breaking a clip. If one clip does break they can be glued back on but in all honesty it will fit back perfectly well with it broken.

Next you undo the three screws that secure the headlamp, move it forwards a bit to get to the electrical connector; slide the collar across to release the plug and you are out!

The potential pitfalls are if the screws have never been out they may be seized in the nuts which are bonded into the headlamp. The nuts may turn with the screw but this does not matter because you are replacing the lamp unit anyway. Use hex headed screws next time and grease the threads!

Your replacement headlamp may be of the later type and could require an adaptor loom to be fitted between the old plug and the new lamp. Vehicles built after 2011 have a different connector with an extra wire in it for optional DRL's.

You need a large Pozi-drive screwdriver, a 10mm socket and a small flat screwdriver will help to ease the connector collar over; just put it through the loop and slide across.

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
All I need to do now is touch up the scabby paintwork both sides on the section between the doors and the front bumper (just visible at top and bottom right of the headlamp) , plus get some black smooth hammerite on the drivers wiper arm and the front end will look quite tidy.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I had an advisory this year on my MoT for exactly this issue.

I have loads of sanding discs from 40 grit through to1800 grit, plus rubbing compound so no issues there…

Any recommendations though for a final seal agent?

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I had an advisory this year on my MoT for exactly this issue.

I have loads of sanding discs from 40 grit through to1800 grit, plus rubbing compound so no issues there…

Any recommendations though for a final seal agent?
Sorry, I just used what was supplied in the kits.
There are quite a few options on amazon though, ranging from £6 to over £30. I searched on "uv sealant for headlights".

You might just get the same protection from normal car polish though...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
There are quite a few options on amazon though, ranging from £6 to over £30. I searched on "uv sealant for headlights".

Ok, thanks! 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

You do need a proper UV sealer or the headlamps will degrade again within a year. I surprised the 3M kit didn't have one most kits do.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Be interesting to see how long that works for. Plastic being what it is, you might find them yellow again in another year, or you might not.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
My wife had her car headlights done by a professional company ,, but within a year they needed doing again her car is only 7 years old

Ode

Apr 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot compass ca
Exp
K2 Lamp cleaner works a treat used on my motorhome headlights that where badly yellowed ,and it brought them up a treat .I couldn't believe how well it worked but it did ,I had used a couple of other kits and they did not work .

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Make sure you use a Polish/ cleaner compatible with polycarbonate. The wrong stuff will destroy the plastic either immediately or over time you will notice the plastic craze and cracked. I know someone who used a household cleaner which destroyed all his plastic windows. Within a week they all has massive cracks appear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back