Has anyone fitted/used a hand brake extender (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
thinking of getting a handbrake extender to make life a bit easier, especially when doing hill starts with a comformatic gearbox. i used to just hold it on the footbrake with it in first gear, but now i take it out of gear to try to reduce the potential of damaging the clutch, but it means reaching down which can be abit awkward at times.

anyone had experience, good or bad - this isnt a thread about whether anyone thinks they're a good/bad idea unless they have actually experienced/used one? thanks

Jun 27, 2019
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline B600
Exp
I put one on my Ducato handbrake a couple of years ago and it does help with the reaching down.
Cons are I sometimes knock it off when getting out of the van!! Not a problem on the level, but a bit of a yank needed if on a slope! BTW I'm only 5 foot tall, and have shorter than usual arms :(
I still avoid hill starts if at all possible with my comformatic, even with the extender!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
thinking of getting a handbrake extender to make life a bit easier, especially when doing hill starts with a comformatic gearbox.
I have a Comformatic only use the handbrake when parked up as the Comformatic has hill hold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have 3 damaged vertebrae and being 6ft 4 the lean to the side is painful. Fitted a rare spares extender to the last several vans. You can pull a pin and rotate the top so it can be used without. Also helps with turning the seat and getting out. The Kobran one is plastic and easily breaks like a kid's toy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Shouldn't be a problem with Hill hold, mine works too well, put my foot on the gas and the van stands their for a few seconds then lurches forward.

monkeybrand

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
40 years camping caravan and campervan
I fitted the rare spares one a couple of months ago. Soon got used to it and it makes life so much easier as I am 6 foot 4 and it was a long way to reach down. Another plus is I don't get the buzzer telling me the handbrake is still a little bit engaged which I used to get fairly often. You have to be a bit more careful getting out of the door because you can catch the handle and free the handbrake , so I make sure to leave it in gear to stop it rolling if I did knock it off.
Wouldn't be without it now.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I fitted one on my VWT4 AutoSleepers Clubman GL - the handbrake was very low down on the r/h side of the driver’s seat. Did’ t need one when we changed our’ van to a Peugeot Boxer base…….

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun