Ghent and Brugge recommend park ups? (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Hi, be in Ghent then Brugge in the next couple of days.
Brugge seems to be the big aire near the centre. Alternatives if full?
Ghent noway am I paying €40 for the campsite! Would rather bypass the place if there are no viable alternatives.
Thanks if you can help.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
We stayed in the Bruges Aire last Sunday. It is in a great location and there were spaces available up to mid afternoon. Completely full by approx 3 pm. If you get there early you should be ok.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Definitely use the air in Brugge. Not cheap but worth it as it is very close to the centre. As said earlier get there early and try and get a slot in the "new" section which is to the left as you drive in. Word of warning if it is full do not go through the coach barrier into the coach parking as the price will be a lot dearer even though some vans do park there.
For convenience use the campsite at Ghent. Free bus into the centre not far away. Not the best campsite but the Yachtdreef park up did look a bit sus to us last time we went with some long termers there. It looked dirty and we decided it may not be particularly safe or quiet. For the sake of a couple of nights I would use the campsite. You must register your vehicle for Ghent LEZ just in case you drive throughout by mistake. If I remember there is no charge and it is valid for about 4 years.
lez@stad.gent
This address should help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
If you don't mind a cycle into town, we always stay at Beernam about 10k out of Brugges along a canal towpath

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Lazyboy Antwerpen and Ghent use the same lez registration system. We are staying with a friend in Antwerpen so got that covered.
GMLS I'm the only one who can ride a bike and we don't have one with us. Perhaps I could nik one and give her a ride on the crossbar. Maybe 20 years ago but not for 10k.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Will be back to Brugge at the end of the month to have our 2 Jacks checked over by the vet there, we always stay at the marine site easy walk through the park into centre.
Try to avoid weekends as it’s very busy and you may not get onto EHU.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We will be there on Thursday 15 June for 3 nights
A10/15 minutes bike ride into the town from Memling. Don’t forget the oldest brewery tour. Damme about 25/30 minutes bike ride is a nice little canal village.
Phil

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Ghent stayed at the aire at the sport park which was full after our arrival at 10am. Short walk to the tram line on the main road.
Brugge parked by the side of the ringroad for free and walked over canal bridge through old gateway into town. Overnighting at an Aire on the way to Ostend. Memling was full.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Worth noting that processing time for Ghent LEZ is up to 14 days.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just came back after 2 nights in Brugge, the aire in the town was surprisingly not full up on both days until around mid-day.
We arrived at 10-00am on Monday morning and there was about 6 of the big pitches left plus a fair few of the smaller ones so that was a bonus😂

Speaking to a couple who we sat next to at dinner Tuesday evening they tried the Camping Memling but that was full up.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Free parking by the yachtdreef rowing lake in Ghent when I was there but that was a few years ago.
Just looked on searchforsites and still there. Loads of space and easy walk into town.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have use Camping Memling for 20 years. Love it.

Sports Hall Nearby for Leisure facilities.

Plenty of shopping, Carrefour, C&A, Restaurants.

If we do not have the bikes with us. We use the Bus or walk to get into town. Walk back or Taxis.

You can park on sections of the ring road, but its noisy.

Some parking available in the Centre for the day on 'Hoogstuk"

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We’ve stayed at both the aire and Memling. We went by train into Ghent, frequent trains and about 30 minutes journey. Can’t remember the cost but it was very reasonable.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I was expecting a wait for my Ghent LEZ application (even though I arrived today) but pleasantly surprised it took less than 24hrs. Valid to August 2027

Feb 8, 2023
Rainhill
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 Sun Ti
Exp
moho since 2012
Another one for camping Memling, been several times.

Walkable into centre, very easy to bike ride.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Just spotted this thread . In Ghent now .
Parked up at Dampoort train station.
Alright for 6m ducato but narrowest entrance I've scraped (almost) through

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We are at Ghent now at the sportpark Driebeek.
Would NEVER come back. Constant noise from the adjacent flyover, ok if you're a VERY heavy sleeper I suppose. It's a shame because the Aire itself was enclosed, clean and had everything you would need for a night. The cost was reasonable and I was surprised at how small it was when the area itself around the Aire itself could easily have accommodated many more!

Took a bus ride into the City, probably one of the most underwhelming places I've been to. The city had lots of tourists but the place was dirty and unkempt. I would have thought they would have street cleaners but the rubbish appeared to have been there for a while ..... if tourists see rubbish, perhaps it makes them more likely just to add the problem. We didn't like Ghent sorry to say!

Lots of gothic style buildings, churches, canals and a castle. They even have a free guided walking tour but it just seemed a miserable place despite the many cafes, restaurants and bars.

Perhaps I expected too much ....

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Would NEVER come back. Constant noise from the adjacent flyover, ok if you're a VERY heavy sleeper I suppose. It's a shame because the Aire itself was enclosed, clean and had everything you would need for a night. The cost was reasonable and I was surprised at how small it was when the area itself around the Aire itself could easily have accommodated many more!

Took a bus ride into the City, probably one of the most underwhelming places I've been to. The city had lots of tourists but the place was dirty and unkempt. I would have thought they would have street cleaners but the rubbish appeared to have been there for a while ..... if tourists see rubbish, perhaps it makes them more likely just to add the problem. We didn't like Ghent sorry to say!

Lots of gothic style buildings, churches, canals and a castle. They even have a free guided walking tour but it just seemed a miserable place despite the many cafes, restaurants and bars.

Have to say, visited for the first time this year (July) and we loved it, every bit as nice as Bruges and much more to see. Stayed at Urban Gardens, not cheap but very adequate and convenient.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740

Stayed there recently and we loved Ghent. As a comparison to Bruges I thought it was both bigger and nicer. The two rivers and looming castle were stunning and there were plenty of good bars and restaurants to eat at. As you say, Sportpark Driebeek could be bigger, when we were there all 8 spaces were taken and a few vans were parked up in the sports centre carpark behind but the machine was broken so it was a free night for us, and possibly another reason for it being so busy. We slept well despite the flyover nearby and it's certainly not a pretty Aire but Ghent is an LEZ and they actively discourage driving in the city centre so the location was perfect for a one night visit in my opinion.

Guess we're all different!

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Stayed there recently and we loved Ghent. As a comparison to Bruges I thought it was both bigger and nicer. The two rivers and looming castle were stunning and there were plenty of good bars and restaurants to eat at. As you say, Sportpark Driebeek could be bigger, when we were there all 8 spaces were taken and a few vans were parked up in the sports centre carpark behind but the machine was broken so it was a free night for us, and possibly another reason for it being so busy. We slept well despite the flyover nearby and it's certainly not a pretty Aire but Ghent is an LEZ and they actively discourage driving in the city centre so the location was perfect for a one night visit in my opinion.

Guess we're all different!
Indeed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back