Gas on ferry at Plymouth (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
A fire in the tunnel is less dangerous than on a ferry. Each compartment can be sealed and the fire contained, if that fails there is an escape tunnel next to the main tunnel
I seem to remember a fire in the tunnel which spread rapidly along the train, it was a few years ago. Hopefully they now check that gas is off.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Came through Plymouth checkin last weekend, and as usual, intending to crawl underneath whilst in the boarding lanes. We were asked if gas off and truthfully said no, but going to turn it off once stopped. OK, carry on lane 21.
We did, of course, turn it off but no checks to see if done so.
We have been once checked at tunnel, by a trainee. She asked me to light the gas hob but as the 12v was off at the panel, whether we has gas or not, it was not going to light!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I bet there's quite a few that don't even realise that they have left the fridge running. After 15 mins many AES fridges will try to fire up the gas even if it's turned off at the bottles. There may not be a naked flame but the spark will keep trying to ignite it anyway which is just as dangerous. How many people actually know how to turn off their moho fridge?
Like most appliances they have an on/off switch?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I seem to remember a fire in the tunnel which spread rapidly along the train, it was a few years ago. Hopefully they now check that gas is off.
They always have done...Was the fire caused by gas?? BUSBY.

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Interesting discussion on the Carthago Facebook page.

1st post.
Hi gang! We are just about to board the ferry at Plymouth and just thinking to myself, if I switch the inverter on, would the fridge work off the leisure battery?

A reply.
Would need to be wired to run off mains. But could be 15A an hour.

Then.

View attachment 879171

View attachment 879173

Thoughts?

We always store little in the fridge, but we do freeze bottles of water to keep the fridge cold..
So Bryan , from your " what open flame " post , I assume your vehicle is special and totally sealed from external draughts, fuel vapours etc......so no fumes or air from outside the vehicle can enter....šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just come back to the UK via P&O from Calais and not asked about gas being off at all, obviously we did turn it off anyway but is a little worrysome!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think that was a truck train, they're open carriages and the drivers are not with the trucks

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
We haven't used a ferry for years, we take the tunnel because of our dogs. This is another reason to avoid a ferry.
But Le Shuttle doesn't allow the gas to be on when travelling on a 22 mile long tube under the sea. It never has?

Mar 24, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We have only been asked once about gas on P&O but always have gas off when driving anyway. I used to like having a few frozen home made meals in the freezer for emergencies and never a problem if packed in tight even on a longer crossing!
However as we are now severely restricted with no dairy/ meat fresh produce on board I left the freezer empty and just a few beers & wine in the fridge on our trip last year. Suffice to say no one checked going out or coming back and we didnā€™t miss the frozen meals at all šŸ˜‚

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back