Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Having looked at an AA info page on the French snow chain regs, I get the impression that it is COMPULSARY to carry a set between Nov 1 and end of Feb so that they can be fitted IF REQUIRED by local signage for use on snow covered roads.

Does this include the auto routes?

We leave on Nov 6 to travel to Spain and intend to use autoroutes & N10 down to Biaritz and then across to Valencia. We intend to pull off the autoroute for just a few miles and wild camp (1 nighters) all the way down.
Going down, I'm not too worried as its still too early for snow on this lower lying route but coming back North in Feb', we might get caught out?

Have I read the regs correctly? Anyone have a definative answer please?

Ta:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I don't think its law to carry them, we have been doing the winter in Spain 7 years and always go down the west coast in France and normally not bad, a couple of years ago we had snow from home all the way through France, towing a car on a trailer with rear wheel drive motorhome no problems, we have now gone back to a front wheel drive :RollEyes: and towing a caravan. :Doh: ::bigsmile:
But we have chains but never seen any signs or been stopped doing that route. :Smile:

We went A75 Clermont-Ferrand one year, with a scooter on a rack and front wheel drive................Never again stick to the low ground. :ROFLMAO:

So I would say if your going to the Alps, Yes you need snow chains. :roflmto: Bob.

robbo sps

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just about to buy
Exp
Virgin
The police will man a check point near to the signs and its usually as you start the mountain route . I've followed the grittier/ spreader trucks at near 50mph with some impressive spray from the front scoop. There wasn't a need for chains on the autoroute. In all the years I've been to ski resorts, I've only ever been checked once, and it was slippery. It was no chains/winter tyres, no passing le plod.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back