Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
I was going to get one but opted for a transit. Did a bit of research on them, seem a pretty good motor if they have been well maintained. Some suffer with overheating and cracked heads, and if not been rust proofed can suffer rust. Best bet is go on bongo fury web site Mazda bongo being the same motor you will learn all you need to know. Good luck with your search.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
had a bongo for 5 yrs . some good bongo meets lots of fun . like the vw meets were 25 yrs ago. could be a bit small for many . i pull a teardrop behind mine .and use a roof tent if i need more sleeping room .
not as luxurious as the mini artic but ideal here on the narrow lanes .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Sounds good, same as any motor have a good look all over and have a good test drive.

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
Ps, check out prices of others as a rough price guide.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mines 4x4 2.5 turbo. had a radiator 4 years ago. been very good . my ex partner used it as her car for two years . tows alsorts well. 8 seater .but folds down to make a bed . 25ish to the gallon . i use bongo bits in plymouth for spares .mind brakes and some suspension drop links is all its needed other than oil and filters .
as said bongo fury is the club for them all .

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not bad vehicles, Mpg not as good as it's counterparts - but not that different either. MPG Similar to larger Previa and similar sized highway star. Heads known to go, and when they do they crack them. Servicing is the main thing here, the engine is shared with the ranger and require pretty frequent oil changes, around 3000 miles IIRC. Do that, and they should be reliable. Most fail as people do them yearly, and thus go 4 or 5 times the distance between services - which is probably half the problem!

Well loved and rated down under - great all rounder, just look after it - and it will look after you. Look into Petrol/LPG as well for better fuel economy. Many people disconnect or remove the air-con to improve fuel economy, so check if working when you buy one.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Have you checked out a Nissan elgrand ? (No engine between front passengers, 156 bhp and lots of extras). I've,had mine 6 years and no problems, but fit air bags in rear springs Atb :thumb:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Had a Bongo for years and loved it,bit heavy on fuel but 2.5 Td with auto not surprising,fitted K&N air filter,blocked EGR valve and went like a train.
Only got rid cos got too big and old to climb up through hatch to sleep in roof ha ha.:ROFLMAO:

PS,have a brand new timing belt in garage you are welcome to next time I come to UK if you buy one.

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
I have the Mazda Bongo too, dont know all the technicalities of just how similar the Ford Freda is but yup - Bongo Fury is a good place to check out.

I love mine, use it as my everyday vehicle, not cos I have a houseful I just wanted the option of something small enough to use for work and also to be able to go camping if I get half a chance. Mine isn't converted but does have the flip-top-sleep-in-roof and I have a free standing awning for the side

It's a lovely thing to drive :thumb:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
torque converter lock down

There is a variable resistor on top of the gear box, it controls the torque lock down which usually kicks in at around 50 to 55mph, you can get this down to around 45mph just by twisting it which helps the mpg quite a lot :thumb:eek:h, I had one for 5 years until the head went

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back