Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all,
Although we have travelled extensively in France and Germany I'm just hoping for some advice, or even a link to a good blog/route map, for a trip from Calais to the Italian Lakes ( Lake Iseo or one of the less busy lakes) then onto Tuscany and the rest of Italy .
We are 8.0 mts long and 4.6 t so we want to avoid Austria and the Go Box hassle.We are not in a rush at all ( hopefully it will be a six month trip ish ) so it’s more about the main routes and places to visit rather than the distance covered per day .

Advice on where to cross the border Switzerland to Northern Italy would be very much appreciated .

Thank you in advance đź‘Ť

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve done the Simplon Pass via Switzerland. (y)

I should add we were on motorcycles, but LGV were on the road so you shouldn’t have a problem.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Simplon or St gotthard tunnel or pass would be my choice.
St gotthard brings you out at lake maggiore.
My favorite Italian lake is Orta.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu â›±
Exp
Since 1980s
Simplon-Pass
9 metre bus with an extra metre of bicycle rack no problemo đź‘Ś

Attachments

• 20200808_223208~2.jpg
    20200808_223208~2.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
My favorite Italian lake is Orta

Am I right that the St Gotthard tunnel still free with a +3.5t 20 day vignette ?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
My favorite Italian lake is Orta.
I'm off to lake orta for three days with my wife mid-May. We've not been before, any tips or places not to miss?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm off to lake orta for three days with my wife mid-May. We've not been before, any tips or places not to miss?
Orta San Giluio is a lovely small town, very picturesque. There is a ferry goes across to a small island in the lake, well worth a trip.
The area is much less touristy than Como and Garda

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Down too Mulhouse. Buy a vignette at the Swiss border for your weight of vehicle. If memory serves me correctly it is for any 10 days in the following 12 months. Then travel via the St Gotthard pass nice gentle climb to the "top". There is a place to take a break and have a wander once at the top. Cafe and restaurant etc. A bit touristy but a good experience. I believe you can stay overnight there (someone will know for sure). Then a gentle descent which will bring you to Lake Maggiore. I would certainly visit Lake Orta. Also, Bellagio on Lake Como is a lovely place. If you are going further South in Italy, Lucca is worth visit as is Motepulciano where the wine comes from. Obviously there are many other places, Cinque Terre, Amalfi and Sorento to name a few.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Enter at Basle and exit at Como. Motorway all the way via the Gothard Tunnel.

As you are over 3500kg you will need a Swiss PSVA pass. You can get one that allows you to be in Switzerland for any 10 days in 12 months so it will cover your return journey. Costs about 32 Swiss francs.

The best way to get it search for the Swiss Via app on your smartphone app store. That will enable you to purchase the PSVA for your vehicle and record the days you are in Switzerland.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Down too Mulhouse. Buy a vignette at the Swiss border for your weight of vehicle. If memory serves me correctly it is for any 10 days in the following 12 months. Then travel via the St Gotthard pass nice gentle climb to the "top". There is a place to take a break and have a wander once at the top. Cafe and restaurant etc. A bit touristy but a good experience. I believe you can stay overnight there (someone will know for sure). Then a gentle descent which will bring you to Lake Maggiore. I would certainly visit Lake Orta. Also, Bellagio on Lake Como is a lovely place. If you are going further South in Italy, Lucca is worth visit as is Motepulciano where the wine comes from. Obviously there are many other places, Cinque Terre, Amalfi and Sorento to name a few.
Their motorhome is over 3.5t so can't use the vignette. Has to be a PSVA.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We did Zeebrugge - Bastogne (but you could start at Calais) (wanted to see Battle of Bulge sights but you could bypass Bastogne)
Bastogne - Luxembourg (fill up with fuel)
Lux - Metz
Metz - Colmar
Colmar - Lucerne (get your Swiss Vignette on your mobile phone app before you depart)
Lucerne - Gottard Tunnel (cost incl in your vignette) I to Italy
We went on to Lake Garda from here.

We have a 9m tag axle 5200kgs.
Get the Swiss app before you travel - do a search under Switzerland section on here and look for one of my posts as I recall posting details at the time on here.

if you come off the motorway in Switzerland, stick rigidly to the speed limit. I got a massive fine!

We returned via Austria and Germany.
Don’t let the go box put you off.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We went via the Dolomites, down to Verona (to see two chaps and some young girl on a balcony) then Bologna, Greve (Chianti), headed to Asisi, but stayed overnight at Spello, lovely little village (in style of a roman village).
Then off to finish at campsite near Tivoli, (I don't recommend driving in Tivoli) to see Rome and Hadrians Villa.

What ever you do have a great time.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Hi all,
Although we have travelled extensively in France and Germany I'm just hoping for some advice, or even a link to a good blog/route map, for a trip from Calais to the Italian Lakes ( Lake Iseo or one of the less busy lakes) then onto Tuscany and the rest of Italy .
We are 8.0 mts long and 4.6 t so we want to avoid Austria and the Go Box hassle.We are not in a rush at all ( hopefully it will be a six month trip ish ) so it’s more about the main routes and places to visit rather than the distance covered per day .

Advice on where to cross the border Switzerland to Northern Italy would be very much appreciated .

Here is my detailed blog that will help you on your trip. To progress from day to day start near the bottom and go up or use the dates on the right hand side any problems pm me or ask on thread
Hi all,

Hi all,

Here is my detailed blog covering your proposed trip. It starts at Henley on Thames and then you progress by moving up through the blog. Use the dates on the rt hand side column to move to the next page. I always loved Spain and France but after a few trips to Italy I absolutely love the place but it depends where you go. Iseo is a good choice. Any problems let me know here or pm me.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don’t know if it will bother you, but we found the Italians and Italy a lot less dog friendly than it’s neighbours.

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Watcnigi
This is great info thanks for taking the time đź‘Ť

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
We went via the Dolomites, down to Verona (to see two chaps and some young girl on a balcony) then Bologna, Greve (Chianti), headed to Asisi, but stayed overnight at Spello, lovely little village (in style of a roman village).
Then off to finish at campsite near Tivoli, (I don't recommend driving in Tivoli) to see Rome and Hadrians Villa.

What ever you do have a great time.
Great input thank you V much , we will defo have a god timeđź‘Ť
We did Zeebrugge - Bastogne (but you could start at Calais) (wanted to see Battle of Bulge sights but you could bypass Bastogne)
Bastogne - Luxembourg (fill up with fuel)
Lux - Metz
Metz - Colmar
Colmar - Lucerne (get your Swiss Vignette on your mobile phone app before you depart)
Lucerne - Gottard Tunnel (cost incl in your vignette) I to Italy
We went on to Lake Garda from here.

We have a 9m tag axle 5200kgs.
Get the Swiss app before you travel - do a search under Switzerland section on here and look for one of my posts as I recall posting details at the time on here.

if you come off the motorway in Switzerland, stick rigidly to the speed limit. I got a massive fine!

We returned via Austria and Germany.
Don’t let the go box put you off.
I am also a bit of WW2 buff and Bastogne is on my list and it’s superb museum . Can I ask where you stayed here was it the airs or campsite ( which doesn’t get great reviews) thank you 👍

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've not been in the van but have been by car to Northern Italy several times. I thought the following places were lovely.
Lazise on the eastern side of Lake Garda, I seem to remember plenty of parking just on the edge of the town. Sirmione on the southern end of Garda, you can overnight in the big carpark just outside the old town gate, right on the edge of the lake, not the nicest place to stay but perfect for a visit to the old town, fabulous after 6pm when most of the tourists have gone đź‘Ť.
Verona was fab too. If you can time your visit with one of the open air opera performances in the Roman amphitheatre it's well worth going. And of course there's Venice ❤️. Have a fabulous trip, as I mentioned earlier I'm off to Lake Orta Lake Maggiore and then Milan for a 10 day trip but I would love to go for longer, Italy is a lovely country.

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Sirmione on the southern end of Garda, you can overnight in the big carpark just outside the old town gate, right on the edge of the lake, not the nicest place to stay but perfect for a visit to the old town, fabulous after 6pm when most of the tourists have gone
Big echo for Sirmone - absolutely lovely spot.

I did parts of Italy with the Italians and also I suggest:
Bergamo - really lovely old town area.
Brescia for some interesting (and manageably visitable timewise) Roman remains - plus it is very unpretentious as a town.
Isola Comancina - a trip out to this artists' retreat island on Lago di Como - wonderful
Como itself - classy (expensive) but the funicular is good fun
Further south:
Gubbio in Perugia - spectacular castle - wonderful weather too in spring and autumn
Sperlonga in Latina - super medieval seaside town with white stoned buildings and streets.

For me, the only 'touristy' place I'd recommend in Italy as a 'have to' is Pompeii - I was blown away walking around it - I could have gone back the following day to do more.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016

I am also a bit of WW2 buff and Bastogne is on my list and it’s superb museum . Can I ask where you stayed here was it the airs or campsite ( which doesn’t get great reviews) thank you 👍
We couldn't find a decent aire last year so we stayed at Camping Renval - €9 for a MH pitch and two people without electric. It wasn't the best campsite in the world, and I've no idea what the facilities are like (didn't use them) but it was convenient for an overnight stop. There's a bar at the entrance and a couple of supermarkets a short walk away.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp

We were planning on staying at the aire next to the Gen George Patton Memorial which is a side road/car park off the N30 and within walking distance to the centre, but upon arrival, the fair was in town and had taken over the whole car park/aire so we had to change our plans.
I parked up by the bus station and a short walk around the corner is the Airborne museum. This was worth looking around, especially into the cellar which re-enacts life for locals hiding in the cellar whilst bombs and mortars take place above. - A shame how time has moved on but yet events repeat themselves with what's going on today.
The town square is where the tourist office is next to the tank.
We didn't get chance to visit the barracks but there looked to be plenty to see there when we passed.
We drove to the Bastogne war museum and parking was easy. The museum here is very much worth seeing and if you've limited time for your visit, I would suggest this is where you spend it. There's the US monument here too which you can take the stairs to the top - fab views.
Due to very poor weather at the time, and the aire being closed, we decided to change our plans and just visit for the day.
Motorhome parking wasn't too bad to be fair as there was on street parking available if you was prepared to walk a little.
Everyone else in the family get bored of it so they stayed in the motorhome and watched a film, so security wise wasn't an issue. But it looked a sleepy quiet place with tourists anyway, so wouldn't suspect any issues if you park up and go wander.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back