First Habitation Service - Interesting (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have just had our first habitation service. Due to having to travel 80 miles to have it done we thought that we would carry on after and have some time away (little did we know, they had to get into all the cupboards).
Poor chap had to remove most of our belongings to do his tests. We found later he had got his own back (not intentionally?) by leaving the gas off, emptying all the fresh water and leaving the waste water tap open (oops!).
All ok apart from some signs of damp in the rear lockers - wish I had my damp meter with me as it doesn't seem likely that it would have come from where he is suggesting as we haven't driven in any rain since last year ( still under warranty, but will be a bit of a pain to have it done). We wonder if it could be from our items stored in there and that they haven't been open to be aired?

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
What now?
Having got home after 10 dry days, I tested for damp in the areas mentioned and could find no noticeable traces (I did check the meter on slightly damp wood so it is known to be working).
I then gave the areas suggested that damp was getting in a good soaking with a pressure washer from all directions (not too close) and there was not the slightest sign of water getting in.
My problem now is that I have a habitation service saying there are signs of damp, but the way they are proposing to remedy it is unnecessary.
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
This is why I'm not keen on it, seems like you'd have to get another one done just to say no damp this time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess the problem now is that if you don't go along with them because it is now "dry" and then there is a further problem they may refuse to fix it as they could say that you made it worse.

What is their suggested remedy?

Martin

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If they are doing it free under warranty I don't see a problem, but if they are charging you for something that doesn't want doing , I'd have it checked somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would go back to the dealer with the report in hand and ask them to have it fixed under warranty- if it takes to long ask for another vehicle to borrow or compensation

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Did you store it with the doors closed, that could be the reason, we always take everything out all soft furnishing and leave all cupboards fridge freezer open.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We will be travelling from the Wick Rally to Derby for our first hab check - and are intending to go on to our son's place near Newmarket from there. I think we will have to have our large awning with us so we can empty the cupboards and lockers into crates to store them in the awning whilst the van is at Geoff Cox.

If there is any suggestion of damp i would get them to recheck, and make a note that the first check was carried our incorrectly (if that is the case) or make sure they fix under warranty.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We had that problem several years ago with our first van, a Swift.
I had stored hoses and things in a side locker and the dealer found a little damp. When it was eventually booked in for repairs the damp had vanished never to return.
I'm sure it was just a bit of water from the hose that had leaked out with the locker door closed.

Richard.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If there is a sign of damp, I wonder how they determine the cause.
What happens if they "repair" and the damp persists?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
The readings are 22% for one rear locker and 28% for the other. The recommendations are to replace the door seals for the 2 lockers and the water filler pipe. As I said in my last post, I gave these doors a good spray from all sides and no water got in (kitchen towel remained dry).
They would want the van for 2 weeks and it's an 80 mile trip each way which would be a pain and I would be concerned that it could be made worse.
The doors were closed with the seats down and the van had last been used for a few days, about 3 weeks earlier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We had that problem several years ago with our first van, a Swift.
I had stored hoses and things in a side locker and the dealer found a little damp. When it was eventually booked in for repairs the damp had vanished never to return.
I'm sure it was just a bit of water from the hose that had leaked out with the locker door closed.
Did they do anything or just recheck it?
Richard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
@Clarky Did they do anything or just recheck for damp and didn't find any? (Typed in the wrong place on the last post!)

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
The readings are 22% for one rear locker and 28% for the other. The recommendations are to replace the door seals for the 2 lockers and the water filler pipe. As I said in my last post, I gave these doors a good spray from all sides and no water got in (kitchen towel remained dry).
They would want the van for 2 weeks and it's an 80 mile trip each way which would be a pain and I would be concerned that it could be made worse.
The doors were closed with the seats down and the van had last been used for a few days, about 3 weeks earlier.

Points more to condensation rather than water ingress to me.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@Clarky Did they do anything or just recheck for damp and didn't find any? (Typed in the wrong place on the last post!)
It was about 7 years ago now and the dealer was that well known one with multiple outlets all around the country.
After waiting for ages while they got authorisation from Swift to carry out the work, including a change of Branch manager which seemed to cause more delays as he forgot to progress the job, it was finally scheduled. They intended to dry the area out and then replace seals round a side locker and re-seal along the side skirt.
When they re-checked for damp there wasn't any sign of it and the locker was dry as a bone.
We assumed that there had been a little water in a filler hose that had leaked out and laid around the door seals.
No point in doing unnecessary work, particularly by those cowboys who had done enough bodges to last me a lifetime.
Oh, the tales I could tell but perhaps shouldn't. ;);)

Richard.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
It was about 7 years ago now and the dealer was that well known one with multiple outlets all around the country.
After waiting for ages while they got authorisation from Swift to carry out the work, including a change of Branch manager which seemed to cause more delays as he forgot to progress the job, it was finally scheduled. They intended to dry the area out and then replace seals round a side locker and re-seal along the side skirt.
When they re-checked for damp there wasn't any sign of it and the locker was dry as a bone.
We assumed that there had been a little water in a filler hose that had leaked out and laid around the door seals.
No point in doing unnecessary work, particularly by those cowboys who had done enough bodges to last me a lifetime.
Oh, the tales I could tell but perhaps shouldn't. ;);)

Richard.
Or perhaps you should, nothing like naming and shaming. We should do more of it and help one and other. We spend enough of our hard earned dosh with the dealers so I would welcome knowing who the baddies are so that I can give them a wide berth.:D
I have just bought a new MH from Marquis and can assure you that one step out of line with any of the works that are being done on my snagging list and both their head office (new company now own them ) and this forum will know about it. I hate being ripped off.:mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Or perhaps you should, nothing like naming and shaming. We should do more of it and help one and other. We spend enough of our hard earned dosh with the dealers so I would welcome knowing who the baddies are so that I can give them a wide berth.:D
I have just bought a new MH from Marquis and can assure you that one step out of line with any of the works that are being done on my snagging list and both their head office (new company now own them ) and this forum will know about it. I hate being ripped off.:mad::mad:
They are the people who made a number of cock ups so be aware and keep an eye on what is done.
Mind you, it was a few years ago and in a different part of the country from where you are.

Hope you new MH is all you wish and that any snags (there are almost certain to be some) are sorted quickly and efficiently.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
They are the people who made a number of cock ups so be aware and keep an eye on what is done.
Mind you, it was a few years ago and in a different part of the country from where you are.

Hope you new MH is all you wish and that any snags (there are almost certain to be some) are sorted quickly and efficiently.

Richard.
:D:D ;) ;):rolleyes::rolleyes: Say no more Mi Amigo!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Points more to condensation rather than water ingress to me.
That is what I thought, I just wasn't sure the best way to go about dealing with it. Would the damp being reported be an issue when it comes to selling - not that there are any thoughts of that happening for a few years yet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thinking about it, perhaps I should just see what the dealer says.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
That is what I thought, I just wasn't sure the best way to go about dealing with it. Would the damp being reported be an issue when it comes to selling - not that there are any thoughts of that happening for a few years yet.

If it is damp from condensation airing the cupboard will sort that problem out, in future when leaving van for anytime always leave all cupboards, fridge etc etc open.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back