External silver screens for A-class with only one cab door? (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi there. I'm very near to buying a 2004/05/06 Burstner 821, but these models have only one cab door. Is it possible to get external silver screens to fit this arrangement snugly? Or will I have to opt for internal screens instead? Thank you for any advice.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hello,

I am no expert because I have two doors on my motorhome. But friends with hymers who only have one doors have silver screens the are hooked on some way or other and seem to fit snuggly.

I am sure someone will be able to give you a more indepth answer.

You can always try silver screens direct, and see what they offer.

Regards
Pat

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
One of the main suppliers of silver screens and the firm that supplied ours for my single doored Dethlefs A Class, is Silver Screens at Cleckheaton.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

No harm in giving them a call and asking them.

Another well known supplier is Taylor Made

http://taylormade-covers.co.uk/

They're based in Holmfirth. The web site doesn't mention many A-class screens, though.

Good luck in your venture.

Jphn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I can only describe the fitting for our Hymer which has one driver's door on the left-hand side.

The screens are made by Silverscreens, but I suspect others, such as Taylormade, work in the same way.

First, the sliding window (RHS) is opened and a thin flap at the end of the screen is fed through the gap. This is attached to the inside of the window using three suckers. The window is then shut.

The screen is then fed around the windscreen and driver's door (LHS) and the door is opened slightly. With the screen laid loosely around the front, by being raised up the windscreen slightly, a triangular pocket at the top of the Silverscreen is hooked over the top of the driver's door. The door is shut, trapping the screen. The screen can then be pulled down to fit snuggly around the windscreen and ties secure it to the door mirrors.

There is another kind of external screen, available from the continent, that requires rails to be glued above the door and sliding window. I never explored this option.

I suggest you call Silverscreens, tell them exactly which Burstner you are getting, and see whether they make a model to fit yours.

Philip

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Still available from Silver Screens, I bought a set in December.
Great service and delivered within 3 days:thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Van Comfort at Retford do the continental style which attach to a rail above the door and window. The rail is only glued on so won't leave any permanent damage should you want to take them off later.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a Burstner A class and approached Silverscreens about this (or some similar company advertising in MMM) and they quoted £350 which I thought was steep.

Let us know how you get on.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just checked my statement mine cost just under £200.00 delivered.

3 piece external thermal screen covers with fold down ability, one side fits over drivers door and other side has a flap for sliding window.

Used them in December when all the snow was down and they made a huge difference, much warmer and no condensation.:thumb:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you to everbody for all your helpful posts. I have phoned Silver Screens and e-mailed Taylormade - waiting for them to get back in touch with me. Think I would prefer not to go for the VanComfort ones with the fixing rails - unless they prove to be the only ones that fit! Will let you know how I get on .....

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just to let you know what I have learnt from Silver Screens. They can make sets to fit the Burstner 821 up to 2006 models but not after that. 2005 models have one of two different cab door handles that affect the design of the covers on that side. The earlier ones have a square black handle on a thinner door; later ones have a vertical grey handle on a thicker door. You need to specify which type of door handle you have and the cover set will be adjusted to suit.

The fitting inside the window will, however, need to be altered from the standard suggestion of a piece of wood or aluminium to stop the window catch from coming open - probably a hole drilled and a retaining pin inserted.

The cost for a set of covers is £199 up to 31 Jan. From 1 Feb the cost is going up to £229.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back