Durham Park and Ride overnight (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I hear quite a few comments on here that the UK authorities don't do Aires/Stellplatz etc like the Johnny foreigner does, and I tend to agree ;)

We fancied a concert that was on in Durham Cathedral so googled places to stay for a couple of nights and Belmont Park and Ride overnight Motorhome parking popped up, I was slightly surprised that we are the only ones here but apparently they do get a few more in the summer months, maximum stay is 2 nights, no facilities as far as I know (I think toilets in the park and ride building but possibly closed out of hours) £5.15 per night and £2 return on the bus or free for "old farts" like Mrs funflair :giggle: park and ride busses finish just before 7 I think but the 20/20A stops just outside every 30 minutes on it's way to or from Sunderland and certinly run up till midnight, brand new bus station in Durham with what looks like really good connections to the area so what's not to like.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 08.36.12 1.jpg

We have the whole of the area in the right side of the picture to ourselves, gates are locked and I believe there is security but not seen anybody. It's 2 minutes off the A1 so a great stopover heading to or from the North, yes we are in the bit backed up against the A690 but it was quiet enough overnight, or it was after seeing/hearing a group doing Queen songs in the Cathedral, first concert I have been to where the minister says a prayer before the show.

IMG_2246.jpeg

Acoustics were spot on for a bit of heavy base :LOL:

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
A lovely place Durham, even better for motorhomers now it has this facility. I live near here so wouldn't use it but great for people who aren't local. In summer months it's not such a chew to walk into the city centre, with a couple of pubs on route to wet your whistle.
The cathedral and grounds are fantastic and well worth a look.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I hear quite a few comments on here that the UK authorities don't do Aires/Stellplatz etc like the Johnny foreigner does, and I tend to agree ;)

We fancied a concert that was on in Durham Cathedral so googled places to stay for a couple of nights and Belmont Park and Ride overnight Motorhome parking popped up, I was slightly surprised that we are the only ones here but apparently they do get a few more in the summer months, maximum stay is 2 nights, no facilities as far as I know (I think toilets in the park and ride building but possibly closed out of hours) £5.15 per night and £2 return on the bus or free for "old farts" like Mrs funflair :giggle: park and ride busses finish just before 7 I think but the 20/20A stops just outside every 30 minutes on it's way to or from Sunderland and certinly run up till midnight, brand new bus station in Durham with what looks like really good connections to the area so what's not to like.

View attachment 853738

We have the whole of the area in the right side of the picture to ourselves, gates are locked and I believe there is security but not seen anybody. It's 2 minutes off the A1 so a great stopover heading to or from the North, yes we are in the bit backed up against the A690 but it was quiet enough overnight, or it was after seeing/hearing a group doing Queen songs in the Cathedral, first concert I have been to where the minister says a prayer before the show.

View attachment 853739

Thanks Martin.

A great cathedral, my favourite of the ones I have visited.

My room in college was only about 150m away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We used this for daytime parking in December while visiting friends, unfortunately the travelling community had taken over the car park reserved for MH overnight. They did have another car park available behind the building that the assistant said they would open the gates for us if we were staying, I'd certainly recommend it if the travellers have left.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We used this for daytime parking in December while visiting friends, unfortunately the travelling community had taken over the car park reserved for MH overnight. They did have another car park available behind the building that the assistant said they would open the gates for us if we were staying, I'd certainly recommend it if the travellers have left.
All gated and clear now, someone we spoke too last night was telling us about all the damage to toilets in the coach station bit.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Seeing the map brought back memories of taking a girlfriend for chicken in the basket at a pub very close by, the car just about managed despite the plastic padding, radweld and red haematite, it all seemed so posh. Now I realise it was 50 years ago and I feel old, thanks Martin!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can understand people calling a PVC or a MH based on a van chassis a 'van'

But surely a Morelo based on a truck chassis deserves more.

How do describe Jen? Be careful now :LOL:
Well some might argue it's a "van" chassis being a Daily but there again being the C72 at 7490kg it is more of a light truck in some peoples eyes, if I called it "the Palace" that would make Jen a :unsure: …… no don't encourage her.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Cathedral looks perfect, but I can’t see any pigeons so the sound must be rubbish 🤷🏼‍♂️

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
You just turn up and phone from the gate and they come and open up for you, or as we didn't see the gate we drove into the park and ride car park and a guy came out to let us in.
So is this gate man 24hrs? If you need to, for any reason arrive late or need to get out at night??

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So is this gate man 24hrs? If you need to, for any reason arrive late or need to get out at night??
The guy that let us in would finish at 7 I believe but he did say there was security so I guess they would open the gate if required, yes I know this is all a bit vague but there is a phone number on their website so best to ask them.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001

View attachment 853738

View attachment 853739

We went to see them at Southwell Minster, very good evening, good news on the stopover (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back