LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we had the van serviced earlier this year the mechanic said there were signs of rust starting to appear under the front wheel arches. Circumstances soon afterwards meant that I couldn't look at it and then I have to admit I forgot about it.

Anyway, I had a look on Sunday and happily it wasn't serious. Basically paint lifting over an area about the diameter of an orange. I gave it a good clean up with a wire brush which confirmed that it was just a patch of surface rust. I painted it with Flag Rust Converter yesterday then painted on some Hammerite Underbody Seal today, pleased that I got to it before it became anywhere near serious.

Might be worth a quick check if you have a 9/10 year old Ducato based van.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They all go there - another place to keep an eye on is in the engine bay, where the flich meets the bulkhead/arch. Water sits there over winter, and can cause rusting issues. Also, behine the brake pipes as they go under the body - holds crud there, rots break lines and there is no way of checking easily unless you remove the clip and clean regularly. Most loss of brakes is caused by pipe failure here.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had the same notification on last years mot...

Thanks for reminding me :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back