Dresden to Prague (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Thinking we might visit Prague from Dresden, can't find reliable info regarding the E55 (D8) regarding toll road or not, maps and satnav seem to indicate it is, but Michelin Route planner says not.

Google search also says not but a toll tag thingy may be needed, anyone been recently with up to date info please? (3,5t Motorhome)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tolls for German motorways are paid only for vehicles with a maximum permitted weight of 7.5 t and more. Tolls are paid via the Toll Collect on-board unit or manually via the Internet, mobile application or in the Toll Collect payment terminal. Vehicles up to 3.5 t are only subject to tolls for the Herren and Warnow tunnels in the northern part of the country. The plan to introduce toll collection for passenger cars ended in 2019, and German motorways are still toll-free for passenger cars.

germany

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Unless you are in a hurry, I'd suggest you take the 172 on the German side and then the 62 on the Czech side, basically following the Elbe River.
(There are no german tolls, and I dont remember any Czech tolls, but don't quote me)

To be honest I was not that impressed with Dresden, it's worth a visit, but one of its's claims to fame is it is one of three places in the world to lose it's UNESCO heritage status in the last 50 years, due to a motorway bridge spoiling the classic view. (Liverpool is the third).

As Dresden was so badly destroyed during WWII that whilst it all looks traditional in the centre, it's actually nearly all under half a century old, so perhaps the 1990's motorway bridge will be seen in a different light in 200 years.

Pirna is worth a visit, as is Bad Schandau, take the tram to the top of the mountain.
If you are up for a walk, then you can spend a while in what they call 'little switzerland' which is an area of spectacular rock formations in the area

You could easily spend a few days in the area, including going from Bad Schandau by paddle steamer to Pirna or Dresden and then back via train (or vice versa, the ship is slower going upstream)

If you are into cycling, then there is a perfect cycle path down (or up) the Elbe. I think we did Dresden to Bad Schandau in a day. You can then get the paddle steamer back (or vice versa)

Decin, just over the Czech border is nothing much to write home about, but does have a nice central square.

Then I'd head to Prague.

For Germany make sure you have the Umwelt sticker on your screen, available here, (takes a couple of weeks to arrive)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Once into Czech, don’t stop at any of the many lay-bys, cafes or fuel stations on the road down to Prague.
They are full of ladies of the day & night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back