Dometic RMDT 85** ‘Clicking’ on Mains Operation (1 Viewer)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As per the title; I have an intermittent occurence of a clicking sound coming from the front of the fridge when operating on mains power. Sounds like a relay clicking in and out. Selecting Gas and the clicking stops.

Anyone else ever experienced this.

It looks as though I can remove the display panel by removing a few screws from the underside. Anyone else done this?

IMG_3489.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It sounds a bit like a possible voltage issue. Had this on a few sites where it won’t work properly on mains. Avonbank is one

Thanks for that, you could be right; I shall check the voltage level the next time that it occurs.👍

The voltage is currently sitting at 221V and all is ok.

Ian

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just to eliminate the obvious.....
Disconnect from EHU, Turn off the gas supply and then select 'GAS' operation on the control panel. This should prompt the ignition on gas and the ignition should click.
If this clicking is the same sound you describe then the problem may be intermitant low voltage when on EHU prompting the fridge to switch from 240V to GAS as its second option.

There are very comprehensive technical manuals for the installation and servicing of your fridge in the Resources Section.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If this clicking is the same sound you describe
It isn’t.
the problem may be intermitant low voltage when on EHU prompting the fridge to switch from 240V to GAS as its second option.
I suspect that the root of the issue is as you described inasmuch as the mains connection is dropping out and then, more or less instantaneous, reconnecting and this is the source of the noise.

There are very comprehensive technical manuals for the installation and servicing of your fridge in the Resources Section.
I took a look there but my model isn’t covered.👍

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Thanks for that, I did look briefly at that document but it doesn’t cover the RMDT series. I have looked a little more closely at it now and it does confirm that there is a relay switching the 240V supply and, as we suspected, this will be clicking if the voltage is on the dropout threshold.

I need for it to occur again so that I can record the voltage to confirm our suspicions.👍

Thanks for your contribution to solving the problem. 👏

Ian

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that, I did look briefly at that document but it doesn’t cover the RMDT series. I have looked a little more closely at it now and it does confirm that there is a relay switching the 240V supply and, as we suspected, this will be clicking if the voltage is on the dropout threshold.

I need for it to occur again so that I can record the voltage to confirm our suspicions.👍

Thanks for your contribution to solving the problem. 👏

Ian

As far as I'm aware the T just means it's a tech tower.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As far as I'm aware the T just means it's a tech tower.

It’s a different display but you could be right. I’m sure that the fundamentals are probably the same.👍

Ian

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
bigtwin as your Dometic fridge has the later 8 series control panel , if you do need a manual , you need one printed after mid 2012 (showing the later P860 brick type electronics module on the rear of the unit)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
We have exactly the same "clicking" on our tech tower when low voltage on site... in fact just half an hour ago! We swop to gas for the evening and back to ehu at bedtime. Currently on a site in Xabia known for it... No big deal tbh once the issue is known.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
bigtwin
check the 240 connection on the rear lower pcb, mine did have an intermittent fault like yours and on checking I found the pcb plug had obviously been arching for a while. Needed to re wire mains to circuit board

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
bigtwin
check the 240 connection on the rear lower pcb, mine did have an intermittent fault like yours and on checking I found the pcb plug had obviously been arching for a while. Needed to re wire mains to circuit board
Cheers, I’ll check that out. 👍

Ian

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We had exactly the same problem a couple of years back on the Mar Menor site supply would go down to 195v on a even when everyone was cranking their heating up fridge would start clicking like mad, only way to solve it was manually select gas on a night then back to auto in the morning.
I was devastated I had to use my own gas when paying for hook up 😭😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back