Devon conversions? (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Bearing in mind the last thread on here was in 2013, what are people’s views on these vans. I have a friend who would like a 5.4m van or thereabouts and with an ‘English’ style layout.
Thank you

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry I don't know much about Devon conversions but when we were looking for a small van I thought the Auto Sleeper Topaz was pretty good.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Peter Gowland who owns the business is OK if you have what you are given
He doesn't compromise and if you ask him if it can be winterised for instance he says'' It could but I'm not doing it''
It's a shame as I work about 2 minutes drive from them and have been a few times to look.

They are just summer vans in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Thank you all so,far. My friend is also looking at Autosleeper, but thought Devon maybe better for her. Any other contributions on either van would be welcome.

InToon

Free Member
Jun 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
2 years
Check out a totally unbiased thread from last year by Blue Knight. He was suitably impressed having visited the Devon factory and showroom. I would say your friend “should seriously consider” viewing one if Devon have a layout that suits. But then again I am totally biased as I work there! The factory at Ferryhill, County Durham has a large showroom and you can see the vans in production. There’s no pressure to buy just an opportunity to view the range at leisure. Because Devon sell direct, there’s no “middle man” to feed. Check out other manufacturers and their prices, then call in and see Devon and draw your conclusions in terms of price and build quality.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I live in Ferryhill and its been there at least 20 years and has a good reputation. I believe he does standard production conversions and also ones made to order to whatever spec you want. Well worth a visit.

Deleted User
I did read that he they were having the same problem as other converters in trying to get the DVLA to reclassify the vehicle as a Motor Caravan rather than van with windows. It would be worth asking this question if visiting.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I live in Ferryhill and its been there at least 20 years and has a good reputation. I believe he does standard production conversions and also ones made to order to whatever spec you want. Well worth a visit.

Whatever spec you want? Surely not, it's his way or no way, I would have bought if he could have done some tweaks.

Or have things changed?

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We had a look at the Devon conversions at the factory showroom. I have to say I was not all that impressed by the quality of the finish, a bit amateurish. In the end I was very taken with a Benivan - made in the same Grimsby factory as Autotrail. By the time you add on all the Devon extras that were standard in the Benivan, the latter came out quite a bit cheaper too. Much better finished, with many more extras included. In the end decided we needed more storage than a PVC could provide and went for C class.

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
We looked at Devon and Wildax and ended up buying a Wildax for several reasons. One was the all inclusive aspect from Wildax whereas Devon was advertised at £40k ish and then you added on bits and it shot up. Another reason was onboard water tanks and LPG tanks, all included on the Wildax which is also winterised with heated tanks. And finally from a personal view, the interiors on the Devon were reminiscent of my nans house!
We had also looked at numerous other vans before taking the plunge and ordering and have been more than happy with our choice.
And we have no connection with Wildax other than buying one of their vans

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Check out a totally unbiased thread from last year by Blue Knight. He was suitably impressed having visited the Devon factory and showroom. I would say your friend “should seriously consider” viewing one if Devon have a layout that suits. But then again I am totally biased as I work there! The factory at Ferryhill, County Durham has a large showroom and you can see the vans in production. There’s no pressure to buy just an opportunity to view the range at leisure. Because Devon sell direct, there’s no “middle man” to feed. Check out other manufacturers and their prices, then call in and see Devon and draw your conclusions in terms of price and build quality.

Nice to have someone that works there on, what do you feel about the insulation, winterisation, insulation in the over cab area?
That's a lot the complants I have heard about them.

InToon

Free Member
Jun 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
2 years
As I eluded to in my post, I can only give a biased response so it’s probably best left to other more experienced owners with real life experiences to comment on specifics.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back