Defunct Over-cab skylight winding mechanism (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Hi folks

I have a 2018 Elddis Accordo on which the ratchet / worm and gear mechanism for raising and lowering the trailing edge of the (Dometic) skylight has packed in.

The skylight has eased itself open enough to let rain in. Stuffing the gap with an old towel seems a very short-term measure.

I suspect that the teeth on the gear wheel(s) have become worn to the point they no longer engage. Neither the Elddis nor the Dometic websites help, nor can I find anything on Youtube.

Poking around to find a way to access the mechanism hasn't got me very far yet. The over-cab headlining looks to be a one-piece plastic moulding which would take a lot of removing. I can get at the screws securing the acrylic hatch to the lifting mechanism, so am thinking of unscrewing them so I can open the hatch by hand and see for myself what's gone wrong. At least then I may be able to secure the thing shut!

Any other thoughts??

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
You may have already tried this, but when ours failed I was able to open the roof light by winding the handle and pushing upwards on the roof light at the same time.

The worm gear was then accessible and I took the whole lot to bits, cleaned and reseated it and it worked fine afterwards. However, when opening it I now give it a 'lift' by winding the handle and pushing on the roof light gently at the same time.

When I spoke to a caravan/motorhome technician he said it's quite common as the gear is too weak for the larger roof lights.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
Thank you. I tried that on your advice, but still couldn't get the rooflight to open by doing that, so I removed the winding handle, inner frame and blind, thus exposing the winding gear.

In essence, the bit you turn turns a plastic sleeve that fits over a metal hexagonal shaft which in turn drives the actual opening mechanism. The plastic bit is as you say not up to the job, and has worn into a round hole which inevitably cannot turn the hex shaft.

At least I can now shut the lid to stop rain coming in. I'm thinking of making up a metal sleeve to replace/improve the existing thingy.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Have had campers on and off since 1979. Upgraded to a coach built motorhome in 2018.
Thank you. I tried that on your advice, but still couldn't get the rooflight to open by doing that, so I removed the winding handle, inner frame and blind, thus exposing the winding gear.

In essence, the bit you turn turns a plastic sleeve that fits over a metal hexagonal shaft which in turn drives the actual opening mechanism. The plastic bit is as you say not up to the job, and has worn into a round hole which inevitably cannot turn the hex shaft.

At least I can now shut the lid to stop rain coming in. I'm thinking of making up a metal sleeve to replace/improve the existing thingy.

Thanks again
Hi, I've the same problem on my Majestic 255 (basically the same model) where the plastic winder shaft has rounded out over the metal hexagonal drive shaft. I've been looking for info online for over a year now and haven't found anything relevant. Have found some replacement plastic handle/drive shaft units but theses all seem to have splined sockets. It's bit of a pig getting all the covers/plastic surrounds off and there's very little room to make mods, like drilling the hex shaft to fit a pin, so I may have to dismantle the whole thing. It will be interesting to see how you get on and I'll share whatever solution I come up with.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Have had campers on and off since 1979. Upgraded to a coach built motorhome in 2018.
Hi, I've the same problem on my Majestic 255 (basically the same model) where the plastic winder shaft has rounded out over the metal hexagonal drive shaft. I've been looking for info online for over a year now and haven't found anything relevant. Have found some replacement plastic handle/drive shaft units but theses all seem to have splined sockets. It's bit of a pig getting all the covers/plastic surrounds off and there's very little room to make mods, like drilling the hex shaft to fit a pin, so I may have to dismantle the whole thing. It will be interesting to see how you get on and I'll share whatever solution I come up with.
Well, following a it luck from a random google search for a replacement winding drive shaft I came across a company called Caravanparts who had a number of different drive shafts for various Dometic rooflights, although for this specific one, but I made an enquiry and they very quickly came back with a lot of information including the relevant technical handbook. The roof light is a Dometic SkyView model and the winding shaft they identified was a match for mine.
The part is named "Dometic SkyView Winding Spindle".
There are two types:-
a) for roof thickness =<56mm: new part number 4460000554 (old No SP049001A)
b) for roof thickness =>55mm: new part number 4460000555 (old No SP049001B)
mine is the latter, longer shaft type. You should see the first digits of the old No on your original.

They have now added these to their online catalogue, £19.95 + £5.95 delivery (inc VAT).
https://www.caravanparts.co.uk/adva...p?keywords=skyview+&search=&ajax_prod_id=3093

Details
www.caravanparts.co.uk
Tel 01295 712380
email sales@caravanparts.co.uk

Attached is the SkyView Tech manual and pics of my roof light and the winding spindle (that's knackered) for reference/comparison.

Hope all this helps. Not sure its a longterm fix as I think the design is prone to this kind of failure. Good luck.

IMG_2282.jpeg

IMG_0067.jpeg

Attachments

• SKYVIEW.pdf
    800.1 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries