Cruise insurance for 90 yo 3 days only (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have seen a few threads about insurance and am sure i saw one which was reasonable (ish) for seniors. son and DIL are taking mum to one of the channel isles on a 3 day cruise and need insurance, usual age related things like hypertension but is otherwise in good health. She doesn't have any bank accounts with insurance

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have seen a few threads about insurance and am sure i saw one which was reasonable (ish) for seniors. son and DIL are taking mum to one of the channel isles on a 3 day cruise and need insurance, usual age related things like hypertension but is otherwise in good health. She doesn't have any bank accounts with insurance

Sue, I would not even think insurance is necessary on a trip like that.

The medical costs in the event might not be that high and the same with repatriation on Condor.

I am 81 and would not give the insurance companies any money for a trip like that.

I have self-insured on a lot of my trips and am quids in now.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Sue, I would not even think insurance is necessary on a trip like that.

The medical costs in the event might not be that high and the same with repatriation on Condor.

I am 81 and would not give the insurance companies any money for a trip like that.

I have self-insured on a lot of my trips and am quids in now.
Unfortunately it is stated as a 'legal requirement' due to her age and possibility of needing to be airlifted in an emergency! Her son is a merchant banker and will most likely cover the cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Unfortunately it is stated as a 'legal requirement' due to her age and possibility of needing to be airlifted in an emergency! Her son is a merchant banker and will most likely cover the cost.

It may be a 'contractual' requirement but not 'legal' as in statutory law.

I am sure it could be dealt with by her indemnifying the cruise line in the event of her needing medical treatment/repatriation.

After all if the cruise is to the Channel Islands the ship could be in the next port possibly long before an air lift could be organised.

I can imagine that the cruise line get some backhander from insurers for putting the requirement in their T&Cs.

I would offer to cover my own costs in a medical emergency, which it seems her son could cover. If that were a sticking point with the cruise line I would cancel the cruise. What is her son's view? I would be surprised if it differs from mine.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Will pass on the information, they thought insurance would not be needed because channel isles are supposedly UK. No Idea what her son thinks, not sure i have even met him, he lives in NY.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
That or buy an annual policy and book another cruise same time to take advantage of the policy (annual policies are actually usually quite reasonable if adding cruise). Esure is I think who wife used for the parents (70+ now) as we took them on first cruise and UK law did require a $5 mil indemnity at check in according to T&C's from the (carnival corp) owned cruise line we took. No self insurance even for American guests.. We did see one (older) couple rejected at the port on a 4 day to Holland when their documented were checked. My parents documents were NOT checked out of interest, so it's a bit luck of the draw.. Out of interest the cruise cover added around £30 to a normal annual policy for my parents (for both, so 15 a head).

I'd note that on every cruise we've been on to date that there has only been a full medical helicoper evac on one, so it IS a rare occurance -> but apparently it was costly as the cruise line had to take a detour to get near enough land for the helicopter, and then use more fuel to speed up (burning more fuel) to get to the desitnation port on time (and apparently the poor guest was billed for both of these detours in terms of fuel, as well as the helicopter).

But we have seen a 80 year old senior fallover on the ballroom enough to know that even sedate Waltz's come with risks.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
My mistake -> https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/ is who we used to get travel instance with difficult pre-existing conditions, annual with cruise policy at reasonable rates for both us and the parents. Reccomended, especially as we got "rejected" from an insurer previously making the easy question of have you ever had travel insurance rejected (which is a long story) auto reject you from other policies.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Have suggested All clear as I used it for Kenya when there was a query about whether I had a heart problem, I didn't.
Son's MIL is unlikely to go anywhere else, she is a fit lady, but does take medication for hypertension. Will suggest they look at annual policy and add on for cruise, it's only for 3 days too what a faff

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Honestly would highly reccomend looking for cheap "other" cruises in the year, as if you have the insutance, why not use it has always been our view, given annual policys are cheaper than "non annual".

My parents 70+ were very against going on their first one as thought would be too formal and they were too old at 70, then discovered they loved the big band music and dancing onboard as well as the theatre shows, food quality and the whole experience, and onboard they were actually quite young (They have since booked a few), and made friends with a bunch of other similar aged people onboard. Cunard and Saga are both excellent for elders in the 65-85 range, and the pricing of Cunard can be very reasonable as in sub $100 a night if you book on one of their early, late, or black friday deals. (Example we have got 2 cabins to the Canary islands for 14 nights from Southampton return in Feb 2025 for £2300 a cabin, or £1150 a head for my parents), thats a balcony cabin too in a good location. A inside was £700pp , so under £70 a night- Including all food and most non-alcoholic drinks outside of a bar environment (does not nclude speciality coffee, or non-self-serve coffee). We found that reasonable for a winter "sun" holiday. Its worth mentioning as everyone we meet assumes Cruises are expensive £5000 affairs, but the reality these days is they can be (considerably) cheaper than a all-in holiday via a travel agent, or even an independant villa in Spain now. Both the mentioned lines offer single cabins too (though they are usually 25% more per night, but you only paying for oen!).

May not interest, but as said, if you have the insurance, and there is a thread (I think on MHF a while back) where a few of us were discussing how some of our parents cruise for a few months a year as saves a fortune on their heating bill in winter to not be at home, which partly funds their travels in December/Jan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back